637 Park Avenue
For the past 31 years, Mercy Learning Center of Bridgeport has been providing literacy and life skills training to low-income women in the Greater Bridgeport area. Our goal is to increase each woman's functional literacy level and prepare her to pursue higher education or employment that offers both upward mobility and a level of income adequate to support herself and her family.
Mercy Learning Center's core of volunteer tutors enables the program to achieve an otherwise unattainable margin of excellence. We are seeking a full time Tutor Coordinator Assistant to help in the management and coordination of all Tutoring Program tutors, students and activities. The Tutor Coordinator Assistant will report to the Tutor Coordinator and work collaboratively with the Curriculum Manager to ensure the academic success of the students.
Tutored Students Management:
- Responsible for the daily monitoring of attendance and progress of students
- Assist in initial interviews and testing of new students
- Assist in the matching and scheduling of students with tutors
- Assist Curriculum Manager with Competency Plans
- Assist Curriculum Manager in providing appropriate curriculum
- Identify GED candidates and coordinate testing with Curriculum Manager
- Identify students eligible for citizenship class coordinate with Social Services
- Responsible for the weekly communication to students - "MLC Weekly"
Management of Tutors
- Recruit volunteers for the Tutoring Program
- Assist in the scheduling and coordinating of new tutor training workshops
- Assist with the scheduling and coordinating of In-Service workshops
- Develop and coordinate additional training as needed
- Assist with the matching and scheduling of the tutors with students
- Provide on-going supervision to tutors and students in collaboration with Supervisor
- Provide on-going curriculum adjustments in collaboration with Curriculum Manager
- Provide additional supplemental materials and resources in collaboration with Curriculum Manager
- Coordinate Tutor Hospitality, i.e., Holiday Teas, Volunteer Appreciation, etc.
- Track tutors' years of service and milestone recognition, i.e., 5 year, 10 year, etc.
- Coordinate the Summer Program and Tutor Professional Days
- Maintain student and tutor database
- Maintain and distribute daily tutor/student schedule
- Maintain and analyze statistics
- Assist in Curriculum/textbook revisions in collaboration with the Curriculum Manager
- Assist with all communication to staff and tutors
- College Degree
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Detail-oriented with strong interpersonal, organizational, and management skills
- Self-driven; able to set own deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Flexible; positive attitude
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred but not required
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual preferred (Spanish), but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Jeanette Lizondro at firstname.lastname@example.org.