WHO WE ARE: Founded in 1966, CRLA’s mission is to fight for justice and individual rights alongside the most exploited communities of our society. Through a network of regional offices and cross-cutting programs, CRLA provides legal services to over 27,000 low-income people annually. Our work impacts farmworkers, individuals with disabilities, immigrant populations, LGBT communities, women, children and families in rural areas.
Position: Staff Attorney
Experience: 0-3 Years Experience
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: CRLA Delano Office
Term of Employment: Regular, Full-Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Reporting to the Directing Attorney, the Staff Attorney provides comprehensive legal services to eligible clients in CRLA priority areas in accordance with CRLA program guidelines, the ABA Standards for Providers of Civil Legal Services and the Code of Professional Responsibility.
- Provide legal services (advice, negotiation, litigation & administrative advocacy) to low income clients in accordance with the program priorities and case handling policies.
- Review/supervise the work product of Community Workers and Support Staff relating to all clients being advised or represented.
- Take on significant statewide impact activity, including institutional, group litigation and community economic development.
- Develop leadership in working with the community, clients and other advocacy groups related to statewide impact issues.
- Develop specialized knowledge in a substantive area of poverty law and acts as a resource for other CRLA staff through participation in at least one CRLA task force.
- Coordinate advocacy in substantive areas through collaboration with other human services providers, non-profit organizations and community, client or other advocacy groups.
- Participate in training programs, case reviews, staff meetings and other CRLA activities.
- Prepare and provide community education regarding legal rights.
- Collaborate with members of the private bar as necessary.
- Maintain contemporaneous time records in case management system.
- Maintain great working relationship with all staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Education and Experience:
A highly qualified and desirable candidate would also have the following:
- Experience working with low-income families and communities.
- Experience in a non-profit legal services environment.
- Prior experience in legal services and additional language ability relevant.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits:
Based on a competitive public interest union salary scale; generous benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life Insurance, and 401K retirement plan contribution. Fourteen (14) paid Holidays, generous vacation and sick leave policy, some professional dues paid by CRLA and if qualified - participation in the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program (LRAP).
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English & Spanish) Fluency.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION PLEASE CLICK THE LINK BELOW: