- Reports to: Managing Director, Foundation Relations
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Development
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
- Minimum compensation: $75,000/$90,000
American Progress seeks a self-starter with strong communication skills and the ability to multitask to join a growing team with a successful record of fundraising for the position of Associate Director or Director of Foundation Relations. This individual will be responsible for a grant-seeking portfolio that generates $7 million to $15 million in annual revenue for American Progress. They will pursue and capitalize on emerging opportunities for foundation funding and will help produce written communications for the organization. Reporting to the Managing Director of Foundation Relations, the Associate Director/Director will work closely with the Executive team and senior American Progress staff. They will drive a robust foundation fundraising program designed to increase the amount of support from the organization’s constituency over the next several years.
This position is ideal for a deadline-driven, detail-oriented, and well-organized development professional who is committed to a progressive policy agenda and American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” In addition, this position will support American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Foundation Relations team works with program staff at both the Center for American Progress, a 501(c)(3) organization, and the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization, to make the case for support for various programs; conduct ongoing research to identify foundation funding opportunities; collaborate on strategies for approaching foundation prospects; and track all foundation activity and deadlines.
- Independently generate $7 million to $15 million in revenue on an annual basis.
- Design and implement strategies and activities to increase support from existing foundation funders and identify new potential foundation support, working closely with the Managing Director, executive and senior leadership to drive fundraising strategy.
- Lead cross-functional collaborations to secure less restricted, more flexible support for multidisciplinary projects led by members of the Executive team and senior leadership team; ensure high-quality stewardship of these collaborative grants by facilitating intraorganizational planning and coordination to meet grant deliverables.
- Research the giving interests of foundation funders and stay abreast of philanthropic trends and recent foundation giving.
- Identify new opportunities for funding that align with American Progress’ programs through prospect research, working closely with the Foundation Relations Coordinator.
- Prepare foundation materials including but not limited to proposals, letters of inquiry, grant reports, agreements, emails, presentations, and acknowledgment letters. This includes drafting original copy, editing, and formatting as needed.
- Lead the planning and execution of meetings with foundation staff, research and draft briefings for executive leadership in advance of foundation meetings, and prepare senior staff for foundation meetings and phone calls.
- Partner with American Progress program staff to cultivate relationships with both current and prospective donors and support foundation fundraising on the part of American Progress’ Executive team.
- Track grant requirements and deadlines as well as contact between American Progress and funders.
- Liaise with program and finance staff to monitor grant spending.
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed to move forward American Progress’ foundation relations portfolio.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Four to seven years of foundation relations experience or comparable work with foundations, preferably at a nonprofit advocacy or policy-oriented organization for the Associate Director. At least eight years of experience for the Director role is required.
- Demonstrated success managing a seven-figure portfolio of foundation donors and managing relationships with both program officers and internal colleagues to create the conditions for success.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and renewing contributions from foundations by articulating a compelling case for support through multiple communication tools, including written grant proposals, reports, budget documents, and verbal and visual presentations, among others.
- Knowledge of various progressive philanthropic sectors including racial equity, rights, justice, international affairs, public health, education, or democracy is desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and prospect research skills.
- Strong interpersonal, mediation, and facilitation skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of the Salesforce database is desirable.
- Familiarity with 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) regulations is a plus.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed to meet deadlines and manage workflow.
- Support for the mission of American Progress and commitment to a broad progressive agenda.
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or equivalent experience is required.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. This position is not represented by a union. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The starting salary for the Associate Director position is $75,000. The starting salary for the Director position is $90,000.