One Million Degrees Program Coordinator (2 positions - Truman and Kennedy-King/Olive Harvey Colleges)
- Job posted by One Million Degrees
180 North Wabash Avenue
We are hiring for 2 positions:
1 position split between Kennedy-King (KKC) and Olive-Harvey Colleges (OHC):
· KKC: 6301 South Halsted St, Chicago, IL
· OHC: 10001 South Woodlawn Ave, Chicago, IL
1 position at Truman College (TRC):
· TRC: 1145 West Wilson Ave, Chicago, IL 60640
About One Million Degrees:
THE CHALLENGE: 65% of Illinois public college students attend community college, but only one in five of them will graduate with a degree within three years. One Million Degrees (OMD) changes that.
THE SOLUTION: One Million Degrees is the only organization in Illinois and one of few in the country dedicated to providing comprehensive supports to low-income, highly motivated community college students to help them succeed in school, in work, and in life.
From tutors and coaches to financial assistance and professional development, OMD offers the support that empowers Scholars to transform their lives and those around them for generations. OMD Scholars graduate at twice the state average with the skills and experiences necessary to launch economically mobile careers.
Currently in its 11th year of programming, OMD continues to expand the number of Scholars it supports to be a catalyst for change in Chicago. OMD partners with 10 Chicago-area community colleges, serving over 800 Scholars across the region in the 2017-2018 academic year and aiming to expand its programming to 1,000 Scholars.
Seeking an entrepreneurial self-starter with a passion for people and a belief in the transformative power of education and opportunity.
The Program Coordinator is the heart of OMD’s Scholar Support Model, responsible for effectively managing a caseload of around 60 community college Scholars and ensuring their successful persistence and completion in college and the OMD Program, as well as a successful transition to a bachelor’s program or career.
The OMD Program Coordinator will be embedded at a City Colleges of Chicago campus (1 position is split between Kennedy-King and Olive Harvey Colleges and 1 position is at Truman College). Additionally, there will be travel required to the downtown office and other campus locations. Duties, which are outlined below, include Scholar engagement and management, partner engagement and management, data collection and analysis, event planning/curriculum facilitation, and recruitment support.
One Million Degrees is a friendly, diverse office with ambitious goals and a relentless drive to achieve them. Join our dynamic team of talented, hard-working individuals who believe that a single degree can change the world.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
Scholar Engagement and Management
- Implement OMD’s high-touch Scholar support model with fidelity to ensure Scholar academic, personal, and professional goals are being met and that Scholars are on-track to graduate within three years.
- Build rapport with Scholars and continuously engage and hold them accountable to OMD program expectations and requirements.
- Serve as a thought partner to assist Scholars in exploring solutions to problems and ensuring persistence in the face of obstacles that could derail progress toward goals.
- Promote scholar registration and attendance at relevant OMD and partner college programming.
Partner Engagement and Management
- Build relationships with campus stakeholders by attending campus programming and regularly meeting with student services staff, in order to leverage and strengthen Scholars’ networks of support.
- Maintain awareness of the type and availability of college and community resources and efficiently connect Scholars to the appropriate services.
- Coordinate with other OMD stakeholders, such as coach volunteers and tutors, ensuring that Scholars follow-up with these resources.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Use Salesforce database to maintain accurate and timely data on Scholar interactions, grades and program participation to identify patterns in the scholar population and program performance.
- Gather and track Scholar deliverables such as student service usage, FAFSA and resume completion, 4-year college or job applications, and setting SMART goals.
- PCs are held to metrics including attempted and successful interactions with Scholars and other required deliverables
Event Planning and Curriculum Facilitation
- Plan and execute monthly Scholar development sessions, Scholar orientation, and other scholar development events in collaboration with OMD staff and campus partners.
- Use OMD’s curriculum to mplement high quality, engaging programming aimed at building Scholar community and reinforcing growth mindset and non-cognitive skills.
- Represent OMD at schools, community organizations, and Scholarship fairs.
- Facilitate information sessions for prospective Scholars as well as provisional admission meetings and workshops.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Scholar Recruitment to support recruitment targets and application processing.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years (or equivalent) work experience, preferably in education or human services
- Experience having direct accountability for the achievements/outcomes of a group of individuals (caseload management experience is a plus)
- Service fellowship experience such as AmeriCorps is a plus
- Project Management – Proven success in a project leader role with multiple stakeholders
- Communication – Strong verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse audiences, especially adults and older youth
- Data – Ability to make data-driven decisions
- Commitment – Able to commit 2 years to the PC position
- Builder/entrepreneur – Enjoys building new things in a fast-paced environment; evidence of success in the face of ambiguity
- Independent operator – Proven results delivery without direct supervision. Able to make day-to-day decisions that affect others; evidence of on-the-fly problem solving
- Empathy – Evidence of trust-based relationships with individuals of differing backgrounds
Compensation and Benefits for Full-time Employees:
- Salary – Commensurate with experience.
- Health Benefits – Full health insurance for the employee, including medical, dental, and vision.
- Retirement Benefits – After 90 days, employees are eligible for a Simple IRA plan with matched contributions up to 3% of salary.
- Professional Learning Opportunities – OMD supports employee development in areas relevant to professional and organizational goals and will pay for training such as workshops and conferences as agreed upon by employee and supervisor.
- Paid Time Off – 3 weeks paid vacation plus 9 paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit resume and targeted cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in the position split between Kennedy-King and Olive Harvey Colleges, Write “Your Name + Kennedy-King/Olive-Harvey PC” in the subject line of the email.
If you are interested in the position at Truman College, Write “Your Name + Truman PC” in the subject line of the email.
One Million Degrees is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit.