Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
360 East 161st Street
The Bronx Defenders – an innovative, progressive, holistic indigent defense office in the South Bronx – seeks an organized, creative and committed Recruiting and Hiring Coordinator to provide administrative and programming support to the Recruiting and Hiring Manager.
BxD is a public defender non-profit that is radically transforming how low-income people in the Bronx are represented in the justice system, and, in doing so, is transforming the system itself. BxD seeks thoughtful, creative, energetic individuals with a strong commitment to social justice to join our dynamic staff.
Our diverse staff of over 350 includes interdisciplinary teams made up of criminal, civil, immigration, and family defense attorneys, as well as social workers, benefits specialists, legal advocates, parent advocates, investigators, and team administrators, all of whom collaborate to provide holistic legal and social service advocacy. Through this integrated team-based structure, we have pioneered a groundbreaking, nationally-recognized model of representation called holistic defense that achieves better outcomes for our clients.
Each year, we defend 27,000 low-income Bronx residents in criminal, civil, child welfare, and immigration cases, and reach thousands more through our community intake, youth mentoring, and outreach programs. Through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and community organizing, we push for systemic reform at the local, state, and national level. We take what we learn from the clients and communities that we serve, and launch innovative initiatives designed to bring about real and lasting change.
Role & Responsibilities
The Bronx Defenders receives thousands of competitive applications every year for internships and full-time employment opportunities. We are committed to attracting a strong and diverse pool of applicants dedicated to serving the Bronx community. To that end, we are committed to conducting a thorough, thoughtful and fair vetting and onboarding process. We work to ensure that our new hires transition into our office as seamlessly as possible, and benefit from our robust training, support and programming. The Recruiting and Hiring Coordinator plays an integral role in this process by providing administrative and programmatic support to the Recruiting and Hiring Manager.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Providing administrative support for all hiring processes in the office, including but not limited to reviewing and posting job descriptions, scheduling interviews, and communicating with applicants via our applicant tracking system, iCIMS
- Preparing voluminous application packets for all hiring committees
- Communicating with managing directors, supervisors and staff members about hiring processes, and assist them in navigating our applicant tracking system as necessary
- Assisting Recruiting and Hiring Manager in communicating with students, academic professionals, and career service departments about career fairs, internships and employment opportunities
- Assisting in registering for career fairs and on campus interviews for students
- Collaborating with the Office Manager, Human Resources Manager and Associate as necessary to disseminate information to and facilitate onboarding of new hires
- Assisting in coordinating new staff orientation, including setting up for and welcoming new staff, conducting tours of the office, coordinating and confirming presenters
- Providing general administrative and programmatic support for our seasonal externship programs, our large summer internship program, and other events and activities under the Recruiting and Hiring Manager’s purview.
- General administrative and programmatic support may include, but will not be limited to helping to:
- coordinating events, assisting in creating flyers and presentations, ordering food and supplies, etc.
- Maintaining staff page on The Bronx Defenders website, including updating staff photos and biographies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to communicate effectively with individuals from various backgrounds, levels of education and professional experience
- The ability to multitask effectively and work well under pressure while adhering to stringent deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and excellent proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and creativity
- Strong technological skills. Specifically, an ability to fluidly navigate microsoft suite, symplicity, doodle, skype, iCIMS, and other databases with minimal guidance
- Ability to work well both independently and collaboratively
- Interest in social justice work - specifically issues affecting individuals impacted by the criminal, immigration, civil and family court systems
- Experience working in and with racially and socioeconomically marginalized communities
Applicants must possess either:
- A Bachelor’s Degree, or
- at least, two years (2) of administrative experience in a professional office setting
- Spanish language skills is a plus, but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please visit our Career Portal at the link provided, select the position of interest, click APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE and upload both a cover letter and resume as a single document when prompted. Applications missing any components or not submitted in the requested manner will not be considered.
The application deadline is Friday, September 7th, 2018, but applications will be considered on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. Please contact Shannon Cumberbatch, Director of Hiring, Diversity & Community Engagement, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the position.
The Bronx Defenders is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply.