175 North Beacon Street
Associate Director of Career Services
Department: Career Launch Program
Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours/week
Perkins School for the Blind, located near Boston, was the first school for the blind chartered in the United States in 1829. For over 180 years, Perkins School for the Blind has provided quality educational and residential services to students who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind, empowering them to reach their maximum potential. Perkins School for the Blind embraces diversity in ability, thought, culture and belief. We provide equal education and employment opportunities and value the unique talents and contributions of all of our students and staff.
Jobs placement expert who has a passion for working with young adults to help them realize their professional potential. In addition, we want someone experienced in providing career services to high school or college grads. Our ideal candidate is comfortable in the corporate world, building strong connections and advocating for our program and its graduates. You will join a team of individuals who contribute to and support the program in various ways, from providing expertise in customer success, to creating and delivering compelling adult learning curricula, to bringing world class knowledge of the challenges and capabilities of people who are blind and vision impaired to all we do.
Help build job readiness
· Contribute to the development and delivery of our Career Success program, focusing particularly on job readiness and job search skills
Create internship and job opportunities
· Continuously scan the local market for customer success roles, reach out to the hiring companies to develop a deep understanding of the job requirement and the fit for our participants, and maintain a database of relevant local job opportunities
· Create strong relationships with local area employers, especially those who have relevant jobs for our graduates; promote our program so that our graduates are sought after by employers who care about customer success
· Recruit employers to host our interns; carefully match program participants with internship and job opportunities, weighing participants’ interests and strengths against requirements
Assist in job search and placement
· Help participants develop resumes, cover letters, and a Linked In profile; practice mock interviews with them; teach them how and why to network; teach them how to research job opportunities themselves
· Based on our employer relationships and database of relevant jobs, make introductions and connect participants and graduates with job opportunities
· Help participants recognize good entry level opportunities; debrief and coach them after interviews; keep them focused and energized during the job search; help them evaluate offers
Help our interns and graduates succeed in their jobs!
· Help our employers prepare for a BVI team member by spending time with the hiring manager and peers in advance, offering best practices, and answering questions
· Make sure the role and expectations for performance are clearly described and understood; advise on job carving (or bring in Perkins experts) when needed
· Check-in with participants bi-weekly, preferably by phone: provide encouragement and coaching as needed
· Check-in with internship and hiring company supervisors regularly, to get feedback and advocate for the participant, address any concerns, and get their ideas on how to improve the program going forward
· Visit internship and job sites to provide support, as needed, and to express our commitment to a successful experience for both the company and the participant
· Bachelor’s degree or higher with coursework in education, business, or related fields.
· At least 3 years experience working in an office or project management environment.
Preference will be given to candidates with:
· Experience with special needs populations
Perkins seeks to enhance its community of intellectually, culturally, and socially diverse individuals to enrich the educational experience of our students. Applicants from a multicultural background, are bilingual, and/or who have relevant life experience are encouraged to apply.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Benefits: We provide a complete benefits package which includes tuition reimbursement, medical and dental insurance, LTD and Life insurance, retirement programs and staff development and training.
Minimum Education Required