One E. 53rd Street
Christodora, a 121 year-old non-profit organization offering high-quality environmental education and leadership training to motivated New York City youth, is actively seeking a Summer Programs Coordinator for science and outdoor programming on Governors Island effectively immediately through September.
The ideal candidate will be energetic and have experience in actively engaging youth in the natural sciences/ outdoors within and near New York City; will build a strong community and easily connect with and inspire students and families; will positively represent Christodora with program partners; and will have a dynamic ‘can do’ attitude within a mission-driven workplace culture.
This is a part time position, that will deliver programming on Governors Island, primarily on weekends and include some planning time during the week. You can expect to work 16-20 hours per week.
Position responsibilities will include:
- Based on goals determined with senior staff, coordinate and implement Christodora programming available for public interfacing, special events, and day camps on Governors Island.
- Coordinate volunteers and high school interns to deliver programming.
- Develop & enhance existing experiential activities in place-based natural sciences, outdoor skills, group building, and leadership training.
- Assist in leading an existing outside-of-school program, the New Youth Conservationists (NYC) weekend programs and programs at Governors Island from May to October. The NYC program targets 50 middle school and high school youth on Saturday’s.
- Bachelor’s degree, in biology, ecology, science education, ecology based environmental education, natural science, or related discipline. Partial degree attainment alongside proven experience will be considered.
- Possess a passion for the outdoors, environmental science, and youth development; and a commitment to and enthusiasm for working with under-resourced youth.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing environmental education curricula for urban youth aged 11-18. Existing knowledge of ecological history and systems within and nearby NYC preferred.
- 2 years of prior professional experience in urban environmental education programs preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including emails) and strong interpersonal skills; ability to work on several projects simultaneously; ability to effectively and enthusiastically communicate and connect with youth, families, public, and program partners.
- Experience coaching and mentoring teaching assistants and high school interns preferred.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills. Results oriented; ability to effectively set and meet goals.
- Bi-lingual fluency in English/Spanish preferred.
- Ability to physically participate in rigorous outdoor activities, including but not limited to, hiking, canoeing, environmental restoration work, camping, etc.
- Successful clearance of background checks and provision of medical examination in compliance with regulatory requirements.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a detailed cover letter and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org “Summer Programs Coordinator” in the title. Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.