171 West 85th Street
DOROT, which means “generations” in Hebrew, provides a dynamic partnership of seniors, volunteers, and professionals dedicated to enhancing the lives of older adults. DOROT’s mission is to alleviate social isolation among the elderly and to help them live independently as valued members of the community. Since DOROT’s inception in 1976 we have been a leader in creating innovative programs that foster mutually beneficial connections between seniors and volunteers. Compassionate care and a commitment to excellence are hallmarks of our programs and staff.
About Volunteer Services Department: Volunteers are central to DOROT’s mission. We mobilize 7000+ volunteers of all ages each year through a wide array of programs conducted on-site, in the home and in the community. Through personal contact with seniors, our volunteers help deliver vital services and forge bonds between the generations.
Position Description Summary: The Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator is a new position that has been created to significantly expand DOROT’s active volunteer base. The Coordinator will help develop and implement a multi-faceted strategy to attract and recruit volunteers. Utilizing new strategies, the Coordinator will secure approximately 500+ new volunteers per year to meet a variety of program needs. Recruitment priorities include Friendly Visiting volunteers, skill-based volunteers, technology savvy volunteers, community ambassadors to assist in spreading the word about DOROT, older adult volunteers for intergenerational programming, and adult volunteers for our large Package Delivery events.
Areas of Responsibility
· Collaborate with agency leadership and program staff to refine volunteer recruitment priorities.
· Create and execute a broad outreach plan to engage new volunteers, incorporating a targeted approach for attracting Friendly Visiting volunteers.
· Identify and cultivate relationships with new groups and networks to source prospective volunteers including schools, PTOs, alumni and retiree groups, community organizations, neighborhood associations and business groups.
· Present information about DOROT and volunteer opportunities at community events and meetings in the Metro NYC area to attract potential volunteers.
· Work with DOROT’s Development and Marketing Department to develop new recruitment messages for various audiences, craft targeted marketing materials, identify/pursue media (social and traditional) opportunities for volunteer recruitment, and update the content of volunteer sections on the DOROT website.
· Work with the Volunteer Services team to build and implement a strategy to encourage one-time volunteers to become regular volunteers and/or renew their participation annually.
· Devise a “first year volunteer communication” protocol to strengthen DOROT’s connection to new volunteers.
· Participate in volunteer orientations, trainings and various other forms of support.
· Collect, track, and maintain information using DOROT’s online database (Salesforce); this involves routine data entry and monthly review of statistics for both internal reports and trend analysis.
· Work on special projects and duties as assigned.
· BA with 3-5 years of professional experience and working with volunteers
· Demonstrated track record in sales, marketing, public relations and/or community organizing
· Knowledge of community resources and a proven ability to build contacts and relationships
· An enthusiasm for networking – in person and via electronic and social media
· Excellent public speaking, presentation and written communication skills
· Experience with social media marketing and basic graphic design skills
- Outstanding organizational skills
· Passion, warmth, and sensitivity for DOROT’s constituents and mission
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Availability to work occasional evening and weekend hours for programs and presentations, and approximately six Sundays a year for package deliveries and other activities.
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite 2010
Generous paid time off, medical, dental insurance and 403b plan.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you would like to be part of this vital community agency, send a cover letter, resume and your salary requirements via email to: