1109 Fifth Avenue
The Jewish Museum is seeking a part time Assistant Cataloguer for a 1-year funded position. Under the supervision of the Collections Manager, the Assistant Cataloguer will help examine and research objects in the museum’s collection including works of fine and decorative arts, ceremonial Judaica, archaeological artifacts, and new media. The position requires demonstrated ability to catalogue objects and conduct art-historical research, resolute concentration, careful handling of art objects, attention to detail, and accuracy in data entry and proof-reading.
- Work closely with Collections Manager and Collections Management Associate to catalogue objects in the museum’s collection— examine objects by precisely measuring, identifying parts and accessories, recognizing materials, write accurate condition reports, and locate and note signature, inscriptions, markings, and historic labels.
- Help research museum records and other primary and secondary sources to establish accurate acquisition information, artist/maker’s biography, object date and titles, ex-collections/provenance, published references, and exhibition history.
- Correspond with artists/makers, donors, dealers, vendors, auction houses, and galleries to ascertain or verify information about the object when necessary.
- Create and update files and documentation for objects in the collection including archival object files, conservation reports, and historic records.
- Help maintain digital records for all objects in TMS by adding cataloguing information and new research, tracking locations, updating exhibition history, etc.
- Work to identify problematic object records and help resolve numbering discrepancies.
- As part of the Collections Management team, work on other projects as necessary such caring for objects in storage, facilitating scholar visits, helping during collection photo shoots, etc.
- MA or currently enrolled in MA or PhD program in Art History, Museum Studies, or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to catalogue objects and conduct art-historical research
- Strong research skills and familiarity with metadata and cataloguing standards
- Strong computer skills including working knowledge of TMS preferable
- Art handling experience a plus
- Knowledge of foreign language(s) helpful
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send Resume with Cover Letter To:
Associate Director, Human Resources
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
The Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from diverse candidates.