Regional Deputy Director - Middle East and North Africa
- Job posted by International Republican Institute
1225 I Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Regional Deputy Director is the second in command of a given region and is responsible for supporting the Regional Director in the daily management of the Division, including ensuring effective program management and implementation.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field, Graduate Degree preferred.
- Eight or more years related experience, or equivalent combination, in program design and management.
- Working knowledge of politics, economics, history and culture of the region; experience working with political systems.
- Strong communications and presentation skills in English and languages of the region, as appropriate.
- Ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other funders or relevant audiences. Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet regional needs.
- Proven ability to write effective proposals, reports, procedures, complete required forms, and maintain complete and accurate documentation.
- Proven knowledge of USG funding regulations, and familiarity with US Congressional processes.
- Experience identifying complex problems and developing creative solutions.
- Ability to initiate, foster, interact, and maintain relationships with contacts and stakeholders in a diverse and multicultural environment, with sensitivity, respect, discretion, tact, and professionalism.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- Willingness to travel to remote and sometime difficult countries.
- Arabic and/or French language skills preferred.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Provides supervisory oversight to all DC and field employees.
- Analyzes and reports on political and related developments in the region.
- Assists the Director to develop and manage short and long term strategies and programs including regional, and country programs in alignment with IRI strategy.
- Assists the Director with external relations, including, but not limited, to participating as IRI representative in Washington and overseas in meetings with government representatives, political party leaders, civic leaders, and others.
- Builds and fosters cordial, productive working relationship with funders and program partners and fosters a positive image of IRI in the regional democracy and governance community.
- Ensures regular and productive communication between Division staff at Headquarters and field offices.
- Oversees the day to day implementation of grants, including adherence to approved proposals and work plans.
- Assists the Director in business development, cultivating relationships with existing and new donors, working with program staff to identify and pursue funding opportunities, and generating new concepts and ideas.
- Coordinates operational management of large-scale off-site events, including election observation missions or other division-wide activities.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Coordinates and ensures timeliness and quality of division's proposal and reporting submissions to all funding sources, including effective monitoring and evaluation of grants.
- Maintains an understanding of donor and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Reviews financial status reports of all projects on an ongoing basis to ensure accuracy and monitor spending by using budget trackers for each grant and ensures they are updated on a regular basis.
- Oversees the approval, management, and monitoring of all contracts, MOUs, etc. for partners and vendors.
- Contributes to and participates in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, funders or relevant audiences.
- Streamlines procedures for efficient and effective operations and ensures IRI policies and procedures are followed within the division.
- Oversees the development of job descriptions and performance plans for Division staff; monitors and provides feedback to employees on work performance on an ongoing basis throughout the year.
- Supports recruiting efforts and provides orientation and ongoing training for staff and identifies potential new training needs and opportunities to enrich staff performance and support professional development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Level of Language Proficiency
Arabic and/or French
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified Candidates please apply through our website