FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Title: Junior Accountant
Since its founding in 1986, Student Sponsor Partners (SSP) has been providing private high school education and mentorship to economically and educationally disadvantaged students. Thousands of students are supported by a sponsor and a mentor and attend private partner high schools located in New York City. SSP is made up of Philanthropy & Resource Development, Programs and General Administration (Finance, HR, IT.) Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the role resides within the Finance Department.
The Junior Accountant will work closely with the CFO and other members of staff to provide financial information by maintaining and reconciling accounts and preparing reports.
The Junior Accountant will manage daily financial and accounting tasks. The main duties include posting journal entries, updating financial statements, maintaining accounts receivable, accounts payable and preparing monthly close schedules along with accounting software financials.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities of the Junior Accountant include but are not limited to:
• Maintain a positive work attitude by acting and communicating in a manner conducive to good interpersonal relations (e.g., helpful, courteous, pleasant) with students, mentors, donors, all public, co-workers and managers, in accordance with the spirit of SSP’s mission.
• Reconcile all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
• Review expense accounts for reasonableness and completeness. Maintains accounts receivable, documents bills, and supporting documentation.
• Maintains accounts payable, ensuring timely payment of invoices, confirming validity of debt and gathering appropriate signatures.
• Updating financial records via accounting software.
• Gathering payroll expenses and input into appropriate entry line.
• Reconciles general and subsidiary bank accounts by gathering and balancing information.
• Provides financial status information by preparing special reports; completing special projects.
• Corrects errors by posting adjusting journal entries.
• Maintains general ledger accounts by reconciling accounts receivable detail and control accounts; adjusting entries for amortizations prepaids; analyzing and reconciling retainage and accounts payable ledgers; preparing fixed asset depreciation and accruals.
• Perform monthly soft close within 10 business days for CFO review, while utilizing closing checklist.
• Prepare draft financial statements.
• Secures financial information by completing database backups; keeping information confidential.
• Prepares quarterly budget under purview of the CFO.
• Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures, complying with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications.
• Accomplishes accounting and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Assist in requirements and preparation of year end audit.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
• Demonstrates alignment with SSP’s mission, vision, and values.
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Teams)
• Maintains confidentiality.
• Attention to detail: The Junior Accountant will have to reconcile accounts, noticing any
discrepancies and miscalculations. This requires strong observation skills and keen attention to detail.
• Problem-Solving skills: Junior Accountants work closely with the CFO and management and will require the ability to identify a problem and resolve it appropriately.
• Skill with technology: Junior accountants will most benefit from being adept with technology. Accounting software, spreadsheet programs and standard email are all key elements of this type of work.
• Communication: As the Junior Accountant interacts with key members of staff and management, the ability to communicate clearly and effectively is beneficial.
• General Math skills and accounting.
• Two years’ experience in accounting role for a non-profit.
• Experience with Quickbooks, Bill.com and Financial Edge preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
• Evening and weekend work may be required.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Title: Junior Accountant
Since its founding in 1986, Student Sponsor Partners (SSP) has been providing private high school education and mentorship to economically and educationally…
• Eligible employees may enroll for medical coverage. Coverage goes into effect on the 1st day of the month following 30 days of eligible service. You may elect coverage at this time or during open enrollment which occurs in late November for the new calendar year.
• SSP pays approximately 75% of the total medical coverage.
• Eligible employees may enroll for dental coverage. Coverage goes into effect on the 1st day of the month following 30 days of eligible service. You may elect coverage at this time or during open enrollment which occurs in late November for the new calendar year.
• SSP pays 90% of the premium.
• Eligible employees may enroll for vision coverage. Coverage goes into effect on the 1st day of the month following 30 days of eligible service. You may elect coverage at this time or during open enrollment which occurs in late November for the new calendar year.
• Employees pay 100% of the coverage cost.
• SSP pays the full cost of term life insurance valued at 1x the employee’s annual salary at the beginning of the calendar year.
Retirement -401K Plan
• Employees are eligible to participate after one year of full-time service.
• SSP matches employee contributions up to 6% of salary.
• SSP offers Safe Harbor vesting of employer share.
• Employees can contribute up to the IRS maximum. $19,500 is 2021 pre-tax maximum. Additional contributions are allowable for employees 50 and older.
Short Term Disability
• SSP offers two short term disability plans which are administered through 3rd party administrators. Eligible employees will receive approximately 60% of their salary up to a maximum of $10,000 after 8 business days of medical leave.
• SSP pays 100% of the premiums for this plan.
Long Term Disability
• SSP offers Long term disability coverage for eligible employees through the Hartford.
• This coverage offers 50% of the employee salary after 6 months of medical disability.
SSP reimburse employees up to $5,250 annually for tuition at an accredited institution leading to an approved degree or certification. Approval must be secured before the registering for the class.
2021 Employee Benefits Summary
Flexible Spending Accounts
SSP offers Health Care, Dependent Care Transit and Parking FSA accounts. Plans are administered through a 3rd party administrator and in compliance with IRS regulations. Upon completion of enrollment, SSP will deduct and remit a portion of the paycheck to a tax-free account.
• Health Care – coverage for eligible expenses – The maximum for 2021 is $2750.00. Participation in the program is an annual election.
• Dependent Care- Employees can elect up to $5000 annually for eligible childcare.
• Transit and Parking expenses- Employees can elect up to $270 a month for each of the plans to cover commuting expense to and from their place of employment. This benefit is not eligible for reimbursement of family member transportation.
SSP offers Cobra benefits to terminating employee through the Archdiocese of NY. The terminating employee may elect to participate in medical dental and vision coverage upon termination. The former employee will be billed by the Arch at the prevailing cobra rate of 102% of the full unsubsidized premium.
SSP and the Archdiocese complies with IRS guidelines in the ability to modify insurance coverages. You must have a qualifying life event to alter, add or cancel insurance coverage. Otherwise, you must wait until the next open enrollment period to make changes.
Employees must provide proof of eligibility for all family members being added to the insurance coverages. This would include marriage licenses, adoption certificates, court decrees, and birth certificates.
• Eligible employees may enroll for medical coverage. Coverage goes into effect on the 1st day of the month following 30 days of eligible service. You may elect…