2018 Election Canvass Director - Work for Progress
Work for Progress seeks Canvass Directors for 2018 Election Offices. The U.S. has big problems, and we want to make sure those problems get addressed in November. This country is too reliant on fossil fuels, we’re experiencing extreme weather conditions, and our parks and forests continue to be at risk of fracking. This is your opportunity to stand up and fight for these issues.
Now, we know that elections are not the beginning or the end of social change activism. In order to create meaningful change, long after the elections are over we’ll need to continue to run smart campaigns to put pressure on elected decision-makers to do the right thing. But, we also know that elections can help, especially when there is a big difference on where the candidates stand on important issues like Climate Change and protecting open spaces. And this year there are BIG differences between the candidates
That’s why we aren’t sitting on the sidelines this election season. We’re taking action. So, for the 2018 election, we will run field campaigns to elect candidates who want to reduce global warming pollution, create more solar and wind power, spare our parks and forests from fracking, keep our beaches, rivers and streams clean, and protect our wildlife and wild places.
Work for Progress will launch field offices across the country in states like Pennsylvania, Florida and Colorado to make a difference in the 2018 elections. We’ll focus on key races where we can make a difference, both federal races (for candidates for the House and Senate) and in places where the states can lead the way through the Governor’s office and state legislature.
As a Canvass Director, you’ll:
- Work with a team of Directors to recruit, train, and manage a team of canvassers. Together you will knock on doors to get out the vote.
- Recruit, train and manage a staff of paid canvassers; teaching them the basic skills of canvassing, motivating them around the campaign, and promoting people into leadership roles.
- Run the day to day management and administrative aspects of a campaign office.
Our leadership is made up of a team of change-makers who have decades of experience running grassroots campaigns. Since 2008, Work for Progress has knocked on over 3 million doors in support of candidates such as President Obama, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Senator Tim Kaine. Our past election work includes:
- Turning out thousands of voters who provided the difference in close races. In 2016, we partnered with PennEnvironment to knock on doors in 3 state legislative districts including State House District 31 where we knocked on more than 20,000 doors to help Perry Warren win by 75 votes.
- Going where the fight is. In 2012, Work For Progress knocked on thousands of doors in North Dakota’s hotly contested Senate election on behalf of North Dakota Fair Share. Our work turned out critical voters who helped elect Democrat Heidi Heitkamp by 2,936 votes.
- Knocking on over 950,000 doors in 2014 in Colorado as part of Colorado Fair Share’s plans to support of Senator Mark Udall.
Work For Progress is looking for Director candidates with all levels of experience (including entry level). We will provide you with classroom training and ongoing support so that you have the tools you need to do all aspects of the job, from running a staff recruitment campaign to managing and developing leaders in your office to working with advanced mapping and canvassing technology.
That said, while we are ready to train you, we are looking for people who are ready to take on a major challenge. You should be ready to:
● Go where the fight is. We are looking for people who are flexible geographically and ready to move to work in one of our election offices. This is a big campaign with lots of moving parts so again, flexibility is key.
● Work hard. It’s a campaign, so it will be something you throw yourself into. We have a short window of time and a lot at stake. We pride ourselves on doing what it takes to run a successful campaign. So, you should be prepared to work around 70 hours/week.
And, after Election Day, we work to place our Canvass Directors with organizations working for change.
To Apply: Apply online at: https://workforprogress.org/job-board/entry/464/ . We'll carefully consider your application and if we think you're a good fit, we'll be in touch.
Work for Progress is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required