180 N. Michigan Ave
Rape Victim Advocates (RVA) is an independent, not‐for‐profit organization dedicated to the healing and empowerment of sexual assault survivors through non‐judgmental crisis intervention counseling, individual and group counseling, and medical and legal advocacy in the greater Chicago metropolitan area. RVA provides public education and institutional advocacy in order to improve the treatment of sexual assault survivors and to effect positive change in policies and public attitudes toward sexual assault. Established in 1974, RVA now serves over 2000 survivors of sexual violence and their loved ones annually through our main office in downtown Chicago and our community‐based offices in Austin, Ravenswood, and on the Stroger Hospital campus.
GENERAL ROLE DESCRIPTION
The Central/Northside Trauma Therapist will be responsible for providing individual, couples and family therapy as well as facilitating support groups for adult and adolescent sexual assault survivors and their significant others at the Central and Northside offices, and occasionally off-site.
- Provide individual, couples, and family therapy, and support groups for adolescent and adult victims/survivors of sexual violence and their significant others.
- Maintain a caseload of clients appropriate to level of employment and program needs.
- Assess/screen individuals to determine appropriate level of intervention and services.
- Promptly respond to requests for therapy services and maintain intake and referral records.
- Participate in regular supervision, consultation, program, and staff meetings.
- Participate in trainings as a presenter for local and statewide sexual assault coalitions, institutional partners, and other agencies, as assigned.
- Develop and maintain a network of community members and service providers.
- Identify and participate in community events, forums, and meetings as necessary to maintain the agency’s awareness of issues impacting residents and the visibility of the agency’s services.
- Collaborate with staff and interns from the Education & Training and Advocacy departments in order enhance the effectiveness of the agency’s services.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics for intake, counseling, non-client crisis intervention, information/referral, and other services/activities.
- Provide therapy services both at Central and Northside offices, as well as off-site or at agencies that have agreed to provide a private space for the agency.
- Occasionally provide crisis intervention to students in Chicago Public Schools through Imagination Theaters’ “No Secrets” program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or psychology required. Clinical licensure preferred (LSW/LCSW or LPC/LCPC); if not licensed, must be license-eligible and successful completion of licensure required within 6 months of hire.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in providing counseling services is required, including support groups and family counseling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent therapy and client assessment skills.
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills.
- Previous experience facilitating presentations on sexual violence, excellent presentation skills.
- Positive attitude and pro-active approach to problem solving a must.
- Comfort with giving and receiving honest, constructive feedback.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as with a team.
- Previous experience working on women’s issues, addressing sexual violence/gender-based violence, and working with diverse populations including LGBTQI communities strongly preferred.
- Completion of a minimum of 40-hours of sexual assault training by an Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault member center within 60 days of hire is required; previous completion of the training is strongly preferred.
- Flexibility to work some evening hours is required.
Persons of color and LGBTQ persons are encouraged to apply. RVA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability in its procedures and policies.
HMO, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance fully covered by employer. Generous Holiday, Vacation, and Sick time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in English/Spanish is preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume by e-mail to the following:
Dr. LaShanda Nalls – Director of Trauma Therapy
Rape Victim Advocates
Include Trauma Therapist and your last name in the subject line.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
No phone calls, please.