250 Station Drive
Namchak is dedicated to sharing the Tibetan Buddhist form of meditation through practice, community and retreat. Students learn from Tibetan masters as well as Western teachers, and receive support from a vibrant community. We support students on every step of the path, from those exploring mindfulness for the first time to more experienced students looking to deepen their practice. We offer a variety of learning programs, including in-person teaching, small group learning, online courses, and soon-to-be established residential retreats at the Namchak Retreat Ranch in western Montana.
At Namchak, we see the community aspect as key to our success in learning and developing new habits, to that end we support people in starting or joining Learning Circles— small, intimate groups who meet regularly to practice meditation, share and study together. Learning Circles support people in coming together as a community of learners in the areas of personal, community, and world. Learning Circles are meant to assist participants in their personal growth while simultaneously supporting them in engaging in their communities, which we hope will ultimately create positive change for both the participant and the community.
Community Steward Position:
The Community Steward will play a key role in the development and support of Learning Circles as they emerge. This person is a highly-motivated, industrious self-starter with extensive experience with grassroots organizing and building mission-oriented communities.
They are flexible and creative, excited to think in new ways and try new approaches to make this happen. They see themselves as a partner and resource to community and love making connections between people, ideas, and resources. They have a deep interest in learning the practices of Tibetan Buddhism.
The Community Steward is professional, reliable, and accessible. They value diversity and inclusivity, and are willing and excited to work with a collaborative group to learn, and to also teach others. This position will start at 32 hours a week.
Strategic Formation of the Learning Circle Model:
- Work with the staff to optimize the design and delivery of the Learning Circle model.
- Identify new settings and locations for Learning Circles, from university campuses to healthcare, workplace and community settings.
- Coordinate input from strategic and community advisors as well as Learning Circle members to continually refine and improve the model.
Initiation of Learning Circles:
● Assist Outreach Director in leveraging existing events, digital communities, and earned media opportunities to initiate/join Learning Circles.
● Maintain database of Learning Circle participants and locations.
● Support Learning Circle members and leaders as needed via targeted email, social media, webinars, and more.
Cultivation of Learning Circles:
● Assist Outreach Director in creating and maintaining opportunities for Learning Circle participants to connect with Lama Tsomo and other Namchak teachers.
● Create enhanced and targeted content for Learning Circles participants, including toolkits, blogs, articles, and more.
● Work with Outreach team to create multi-media learning opportunities for Learning Circles including webinars, video chats, social chats, and more.
Growth of Learning Circles:
● Assists team in developing subset of organizational outreach strategy dedicated to growing number of people joining Learning Circles.
● Develop tiered program for Learning Circles in which groups become Namchak affiliates and received additional support after fulfilling certain teachings, legal, and administrative requirements.
● Assist Outreach Director with in-person programming for Learning Circles, including workshops, retreats, online chats, and more.
● Identify and recruit students interested in starting Learning Circles and inform students about the opportunities & benefits of joining a Learning Circle.
● Help develop, plan, and distribute content for Learning Circles.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: The Community Steward should have a strong interest in meditation and community-building, with a minimum of three years experience in community organizing. Qualified applicants should be self-starters and outgoing with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Location: Missoula preferred; some travel necessary.
Full benefits package for employees working 30+ hours/week.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply
If this opportunity excites you, please send a cover letter and resume in PDF format via email to: email@example.com
In your cover letter, please tell us why you are the right person for this job. Include “Community Steward Position” in the subject of your email.
Materials will be reviewed on a rolling basis and may be submitted no later than 5:00pm Mountain Time, Friday, August 17, 2018.