Details: $22.50 per hour
646 Malcolm X Boulevard
Founded in 1812, NYC Mission Society is in its third century of providing programs and services to youth in underserved communities. Today, our educational, cultural enrichment, and workforce development programs make a positive, long-term impact on youth in the City’s most underserved communities by promoting academic achievement and providing career opportunities. Each year, we serve more than 2,000 children and families throughout New York City with our programs, supportive services, and community events. New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
Title: Math Tutor, Power Academy After-School Program
Basic Function: Tutor Middle-School Students
Location: Harlem Village Academy, 244 West 144th Street, New York, NY 10030
Hours: Part-time, Up to 5 hours per week (Generally between the hours of 1:30-6pm)
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of our elementary school aged participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
- Tutor Middle-School students in the core subject of Math.
- Collaborate with Educational Specialist and teachers in the development and maintenance of individual plans to meet student needs.
- Familiarity with creating SMART goal planners.
- Supervise activities and monitor scholar’s behaviors to ensure safety and appropriateness.
- Attend professional development and training as needed.
- Attend grade team meetings with teachers and other key staff.
- Communicate with Program Director to discuss scholar’s progress, needs, and concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum of 3 years college credits with a focus on Math and education or other highly relevant field; or 2 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Experience working and/or teaching in a school or youth program a must.
· Extensive experience (at least 2 years) tutoring in Math.
· Knowledge of common core standards is a plus.
· At least one year experience tutoring school-aged children in a group setting is a plus.
· Experience with programming is also a plus.
· Strong instructional skills and classroom management a plus.
· Ability to multi-task; skills to be a team player and self-starter.
· Interest and experience in youth development and creating interactive educational activities.
· Enthusiasm, a good sense of humor and a sincere desire to help the community.
General Requirements: All staff is expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Mission Society.
Salary & Benefits: $22.50 per hour
Minimum Education Required