Health Access Foundation seeks a Communications Associate for the California Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health and Human Services Network (CA LGBT HHS Network), a statewide coalition working to advance LGBT health. The position will assist in developing and coordinating Health Access’ statewide communications strategies and coalition communications with a focus on digital media technologies. This includes targeting, planning, coalition building, working with policy staff and supporting
organizers in efforts to build Health Access’ advocacy and organizational capacity via web and email based programs to advance the dynamic CA LGBT HHS Network policy agenda. Excellent communication, motivational skills, work ethic, and a passion for health care policy are essential.
The position can be based in either our Sacramento or Los Angeles offices and will be directly supervised by the CA LGBT HHS Network Director based in Sacramento.
Specific responsibilities include:
• In collaboration with CA LGBT HHS Network staff and coalition partners, develop an annual communications plan to support various programs.
• Maintain CA LGBT HHS Network website, including the blog and pages for
#Out4MentalHealth and LGBTQ Tobacco Control campaigns, keeping the information on legislation and broad policy work current, and providing links to fact sheets, sample letters from our partner organizations, and other resources.
• Draft evergreen articles related to LGBTQ Tobacco-related disparities.
• Develop sample Letters to the Editor.
• Develop print and digital advertisements about LGBTQ tobacco-related disparities.
• Track the penetration of CA LGBT HHS Network communications efforts through traditional and social media platforms.
• Facilitate CA LGBT HHS Network listservs as needed.
• Maintain a Network blog, which may include writing Network blog posts, soliciting guest posts, and maintaining the blog webpage.
• With the Network Director, develop and send regular email updates to the CA LGBT HHS Network and LGBTQ Stakeholder Project participants about trainings, webinars, policy developments, advocacy opportunities, and funding opportunities.
• Work with program and evaluation staff to conduct consumer testing of education materials and advertisements.
• Create educational materials, such as fact sheets, blog posts, infographics, and brochures in collaboration with policy and organizing teams.
• Edit press and media advisories and conduct outreach to media.
• Conduct outreach to potential statewide and regional coalition partners.
• Build effective relationships with the organizing and communications staff of coalition partners to create an expanded capacity for grassroots education, outreach, and advocacy.
• Refer, assist, and publicize individuals with specific stories of experience with our health system.
• Maintain an updated and robust press list.
• Provide research, writing and analysis support on various topics for papers, publications and reports.
• Maintain Facebook and Twitter accounts for the CA LGBT HHS Network.
• Work with Health Access Communications staff to coordinate messaging, timing, and efficiently deploy communications resources.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Passion for and commitment to addressing the issues, needs and interests of LGBTQ youth, adults, families and community, including knowledge of the spectrum of gender identity and transgender issues.
• Bachelor degree or equivalent relevant work experience.
• At least 2-5 years of experience in communications, legislative, and/or non-profit management.
• Background in digital media technologies such as website content management, email/CRM programs, and/or social media optimization.
• An independent thinker, self-motivated, problem solver, and team player with a commitment to excellence.
• Have strong organizational skills and ability to stay focused with attention to detail.
• Experience with graphic design a plus.
• Skills designing flyers, PowerPoint slides, and/or social media graphics is a plus.
• Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills and experience.
• Strong interpersonal and relational skills.
• Ability to understand and communicate complicated policy to a lay audience.
• Must be able to meet deadlines, be responsive, and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
• Read and comprehend general instructions, correspondence, and memos;
• Write professional correspondence.
• Spanish language fluency a strong plus but not required.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud, as multiple telephone conversations and normal office equipment continue throughout the day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all Californians, Health Access is the statewide health care consumer advocacy coalition of organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For over 30 years, Health Access has been a leader in the state’s health care reform movement, most recently as the lead coalition working to pass, implement, and defend the Affordable Care Act in California. Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, the Hospital Fair Pricing Act, and worked to expand and preserve Medi-Cal and Healthy Families health coverage.
Promoting diversity is integral to the mission of Health Access. Health Access seeks applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, or physical or mental disability. Health Access embraces equality of opportunity and treatment for all employees in all employment matters. Interested candidates should send both: cover letter and resume. Reference LGBTQ Communications Associate position in the subject line to: LGBTHealth@health-access.org or 1127 11th Street, Suite 925, Sacramento, CA 95814.