Director of Development, Journalism
- Job posted by Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
This newly created leadership position reports directly to the Associate Dean, Alumni & Development, and is responsible for managing a team of alumni and development professionals, and also for the management of a significant major gifts fundraising portfolio that supports the major goals of the school.
The Director of Development serves as a strong partner with the Associate Dean in developing, with school leadership and university colleagues, cultivation, development and stewardship plans for relationships with alumni, donors and prospects. The Director of Development will work with the Dean, as well as with leading faculty and senior administrators, to solicit major and leadership gifts.
This is an exciting time for the Alumni and Development Office of the Graduate School of Journalism. Our alumni are at the forefront of reporting on the world’s most important stories, and our school is led by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Steve Coll, an important figure in the international journalism community and a supportive leader of our school and of our team. This is an ideal role for the strong individual contributor or leader of an Annual Fund program who wants to grow into a combined managerial and major gifts fundraising role at a school led by a dynamic Dean in the midst of a campaign.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
● Builds and maintains relationships with both new and current donors.
● Engages, cultivates, solicits, and maintains these identified high level donors, creating and identifying new giving opportunities and stewarding existing donors.
● Supports assigned volunteers with all aspects of solicitation work.
● Identifies and enlists new prospects; and undertakes other development assignments.
● Manages relationships with alumni relations within the department, and with other school offices including in academic affairs, the dean’s office, finance, and career services.
● Partners with Associate Dean to ensure fundraising meets budget and school needs.
● Provides direction and ongoing feedback to development staff and conducts regular performance evaluation discussions; performs other related duties and special projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required. Advance degree desirable. A minimum of 5 years of related experience. Must possess demonstrated experience in soliciting high-level gifts. Proficiency in Microsoft Office needed. This position requires evening work and travel, as necessary. At least 1 year of previous management experience, or leadership role preferred. Prior experience at an academic research institution desirable.
Must be detail oriented, use excellent independent judgment and initiative, and have a proactive customer service attitude when interacting with alumni and other constituencies. Demonstrated ability to work in a high pressure, fast-paced environment. Must possess the ability to work with changing priorities and multiple projects. Excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including a high level of attention to detail and active listening skills. Must be able to problem-solve and troubleshoot, in addition to the ability to work independently in a dynamic team environment. Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a diverse group of administrators and academic leaders.
The successful candidate will be an effective, motivating manager, as well as fundraiser and manager of donor and alumni relationships. Individual must work well with all levels of management, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization. Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Medical and dental coverage, tuition exemption, retirement contributions and more.
Minimum Education Required