2 Kingsland Avenue
St. Nicks Alliance is a nonprofit, nonsectarian community-based organization founded in 1975 with the mission to serve as a catalyst to improve the quality of life of residents in the communities of Williamsburg-Greenpoint in Brooklyn through its work in five main areas: housing, healthcare, workforce development, economic development and youth and education.
The St. Nicks' Division of Youth and Education is looking for part time After School Group Leaders to work at our programs at Elementary Schools, Middle Schools, Beacons and Cornerstone Community Centers in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bedford-Stuyvesant and Brownsville neighborhoods.
St. Nicks' elementary after school centers include Literacy, STEM, Social-Emotional Learning, Arts, Movement, homework start, and weekly clubs based on children's interests and strengths. Middle School programs also include leadership and project-based clubs that respond to the unique developmental needs and interests of middle school aged youth. For example, clubs can include Music (vocal, song-writing, production, instruments, etc.); Dance (hip-hop, ballroom, ballet, Latin, etc.); Art (visual, sculpture, crafts, photography, etc.); Hands-on (cooking, science experiments, environmental, etc.); Communications-based (journalism, creative writing, debate, etc.); and sports (team, individual, etc.) We are especially looking for staff with talents to share and experience teaching them to youth!
Group Leader Responsibilities
- Actively monitor and engage participants during all program activities, including meals, transitions, field trips, clubs, activities, recreation and dismissal
- Plan and facilitate purposeful and engaging activities including literacy, science, recreation, and on-going clubs or theme-based projects catered to the age, stage and interests of participants
- Serve as a positive role model for participants by demonstrating professional language and behavior
- Develop positive, caring relationships with young people and their families
- Utilize youth development principles to enhance program quality and support growth in young people
- Collaborate with co-workers and program supervisors around effective program operations; uphold all safety standards and procedures
- Actively participate in training and professional development to continuously improve on quality
Group Leader Requirements
- High School diploma; college graduates or current college student STRONGLY preferred
- Work experience related to working with children and young teens HIGHLY preferred
- Interest and experience in youth development and academic enrichment
- A sound understanding of English including reading, writing and speaking
- Knowledgeable in one or more of the following: sports, recreational activities and/ or the arts (dance, music, drama)
- Ability to collaborate with other Group Leaders
- A genuine enthusiasm for developing professional skills through training opportunities, observation, coaching, and feedback
- Availability After School, between 2pm-6pm, approximately 15 hours a week; Monday- Friday
- Monthly trainings, weekday mornings or Saturdays
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with a broad range of people, including building staff and parents.
- Comply with School Age Child Care (SACC) requirements; including background check and medical clearance.
- Lots of energy and enthusiasm!
Prior to interview disclaimer
If you are hired as a group leader you will need to submit:
- Three reference letters (including name, address, organization/ company name, and phone number)
- Copy of diploma or your official college or high school transcript
- Copy of photo identification- state, federal or driver's license
- Copy of social security card
Additionally, you will need to provide a current physical and proof of a tuberculosis vaccination, and address history for clearance for the New York State State Clearance Registry. Also, you will be asked to get fingerprinted by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services and the New York City Department of Education.
Level of Language Proficiency
Families in our centers speak:
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "After School Group Leader" in subject line. In your cover letter briefly explain the skills or abilities you would bring to after school. This may include artistic expression, physical activities, academic enrichment (math, science, technology, English Language Arts, Social Studies, etc.), and/ or leadership skills. Please all include your prior experience working with children in grades K-12 and include the age group you are interested in working with, Elementary or Middle School.