Director, Business Development and Social Enterprise
- Job posted by Center for Employment Opportunities
Details: The base salary range for this position is $120-140k, with the opportunity to earn more with potential bonuses.
Who We Are
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO) is dedicated to providing immediate, effective, and comprehensive employment services to people with recent criminal convictions. CEO’s programs help participants regain the skills and confidence needed for successful transitions to stable, productive lives. CEO serves more than 5,000 participants a year, giving them the opportunity to support themselves and their families, remain crime-free, and contribute positively to their communities.
Headquartered in New York City, CEO currently operates in 19 cities across six states. In 2016, CEO embarked on a five-year strategic plan to serve 11,000 participants annually. CEO has gained support to expand its programs through government, nonprofit, and private organizations, including the Federal Social Innovation Fund, Edna McConnell Clark Foundation, Robin Hood Foundation, James Irvine Foundation, Tipping Point Community, and Google.org, among many others.
We’ve recently received funding to pilot a department dedicated to growing CEO’s business with new and existing customers to increase the number of immediate, paid employment opportunities for our participants. As part of our program model, every participant works for CEO’s social enterprise to gain experience and income while concurrently working with CEO’s vocational staff to find a permanent job outside of CEO. Currently, CEO employs over 400 people per day and 5,000 people annually across the U.S. who provide maintenance services to more than 40 customers, ranging from Caltrans to the New York Housing Authority to the Philadelphia Parks Department.
We’re seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Director, Business Development and Social Enterprise to lay the groundwork for and lead the strategy and execution of this pilot. The goal of the pilot is not only to drive business acquisition in select geographies, but also to build a sustainable Business Development Team structure within CEO. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual interested in utilizing their experience to have deep impact on people and communities that have experienced cycles of incarceration and poverty.
Initially, the Director, Business Development and Social Enterprise will hire the team needed to carry out the pilot, oversee the analysis of market data, determine target states in which to run the pilot, oversee the development of lead lists, and generate marketing materials and pricing tools. Over time, and with the support of the Business Development Team, the Director, Business Development and Social Enterprise will expand CEO’s current contracts with agencies and businesses, sell into other local, state, and federal agencies, and explore partnerships with private sector companies.
This position is currently funded for two years. Continuation of the position is dependent upon availability of future funding which we hope to be able to secure.
The Impact You’ll Make
Our social enterprise work crews are the centerpiece of CEO’s evidence-based model and program intervention. The work crew experience gives participants a degree of initial stability and support that helps them successfully connect to the job market and desist from crime. The work crews also earn revenue which helps ensure CEO’s financial sustainability.
Through signing new and larger contracts, the Director, Business Development and Social Enterprise will lead the Business Development Team to increase the number of transitional job opportunities available to individuals and enable CEO to serve a much larger percent of those most in need of support.
- Envision the annual sales planning process
- In collaboration with National Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer, set strategy, determine milestones, and oversee implementation and follow-through of team projects and initiatives
- Leverage influence skills to work across departments to obtain input, move groups to consensus, and build buy-in
- Manage sales team members across multiple cities
- Identify and implement best practices in sales management
- Envision and oversee business development events
- Oversee reporting and analysis
Who You Are
- You come to CEO with 8 years (or 6+ years and an MBA) of demonstrated experience in sales management, consulting, business expansion, or strategic account management and are eager to apply your experience and skill set to drive results within a mission-driven, social justice-minded nonprofit organization
- You’re experienced in effectively influencing, developing, and leading remote teams to success around strategies and outcomes, and you promote and foster collaboration across regions
- You take a consultative sales approach, focusing on service excellence for internal and external customers
- You’re comfortable performing within fast-paced and results-focused environments that require entrepreneurial spirit and drive
- You’re diligent and hold yourself and others accountable to deadlines and outcomes no matter a project’s complexity
- You understand the capabilities of and have employed various technologies to capture and manage sales planning data
- You enjoy learning about industry trends, analyzing their effectiveness within a particular organization, and incorporating “right fit” trends to create more sustainable processes
- You consider yourself a data geek, analyzing data and applying findings regularly to drive strategy and decision making
- You have the ability to travel several times a month to support your team
More About Us
We welcome diversity and highly encourage applications from people of color and people with convictions. We are an equal employment opportunity for all regardless of race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran or reservist status, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
CEO also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more. We're a workplace that promotes continual learning and teamwork, offering lunch and learns, team outings, holiday gatherings and more for our staff.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your application materials, including a resume and cover letter, using the provided link.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Google Chrome is the optimal browser for our application portal.