89 South Street
About Reach Out and Read
Founded in 1989, Reach Out and Read gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatric care and encouraging families to read aloud together. Reach Out and Read’s tens of thousands of trained pediatric providers use books as a diagnostic tool during regular check-ups, and teach parents how to engage their child with a book to promote positive parent-child interactions during the rapid brain growth between birth and age five, particularly in economically disadvantaged families who are at risk for adverse outcomes. The daily practice of reading aloud with a parent supports a child’s literacy and math skill development, her social-emotional development, and prepares her for future success in school. Through its national network of providers, Reach Out and Read is helping to set 4.7 million children a year on a path to a bright future, from birth.
Reach Out and Read is the only national early literacy intervention delivered through pediatric care providers. The program has been the subject of 16 independent studies, the largest body of scientific research for any psychosocial intervention in pediatrics. Research shows that children served by Reach Out and Read are read to more often, enjoy sharing books more, and have better expressive and receptive language skills.
- Reach Out and Read program sites are located in more than 6,000 hospitals and health centers in all 50 states, Washington, D. C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Reach Out and Read serves more than 4.7 million children and their families annually.
- More than 7.2 million new, developmentally appropriate books are given to children annually.
- More than 32,000 medical providers currently participate in Reach Out and Read
- 16 independent studies demonstrate that Reach Out and Read parents are two-and-a-half times more likely to read regularly to their children and, as a result, children’s language development is enhanced.
- To learn more about Reach Out and Read, visit www.reachoutandread.org
- The Opportunity
- The Prospect Research Coordinator has a unique opportunity to help shape the future direction of Reach Out and Read. Guided by a dynamic new leadership team, over the past two years, Reach Out and Read’s annual budget has more than doubled allowing for programmatic innovation and growth. Right now, Reach Out and Read is beginning a strategic programmatic and geographic expansion.
Reporting to the National Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the Prospect Research Coordinator will play a critical role in providing the Reach Out and Read network with corporate, foundation, and individual prospect identification and prospect analysis. This is an opportunity to build a prospect research program from the ground-up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Prospect Research Coordinator must apply creative thinking and be curious, focused, and persistent in pursuing threads of information, capable of interpreting complex documents, and possess excellent writing skills. The ideal candidate must be able to identify and adapt to shifting priorities, be flexible and resourceful, and exercise professionalism and discretion in working with confidential information.
- Timely prepare in-depth biographical and financial profiles on individuals, foundations, and corporations using a wide variety of offline and online prospect research resources. Translate information into effective confidential research snapshots, briefings, in-depth profiles and event bios.
- Conduct proactive research to identify new prospects with a focus on assessing capacity and connections to the organization. Identify potential engagement strategies and make assignment recommendations at prospect review meetings.
- Assign prospect ratings based on both inclination and capacity as estimated by extensive research. Verify, update and code various types of information Salesforce database.
- Proactively alert Development Team and other senior staff about findings and news stories related to prospects, donors, and Board members.
- Identify opportunities to utilize advanced research techniques and sources to enhance the quality of research data and materials produced. Work with the National Director to investigate, plan and implement new products or procedures and best practices.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Position Requirements (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Work Demands)
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 3 years of research and database experience. Demonstrated ability to analyze and synthesize high volume of information.
- Ability to accurately interpret financial data from a wide variety of sources.
- Superior written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, attention to detail, and a well-honed sense of humor. Writing samples will be requested if invited to interview.
- Must be proficient in research resources such as Lexis-Nexis, WealthEngine, Foundation Center Directory Online.
- Deadline oriented, flexible in responding to changing priorities and competing needs, sound judgment, and ability to work with confidential and sensitive information effectively.
- Desire, ambition, and energy to work in an organization that is evolving at an accelerating pace. High level of motivation, initiative, flexibility, and creativity and have the ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of Salesforce preferred.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Candidates from diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
This position requires sitting at a desk for long periods of time, as well as regular travel and in person meetings with current funder and new funder prospects.
Reach Out and Read is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide a cover letter and resume in one document with your name included in the file name. e.g. Jones, Maria resume and cover letter for Reach Out and Read’s Prospect Research Coordinator. Kindly, email the cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.