Requisition ID: req2287
Job Title: Sr. Strategy Manager, Delivery Team
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee is at a critical juncture. A leading global humanitarian organization since its inception at the request of Albert Einstein in 1933, the IRC is modernizing, with a new strategic mission and vision, and a Strategy Unit that is leading the charge in turning that vision into reality.
In 2014, the IRC defined a new strategic mission and vision, along with initiatives and key processes to deliver to the strategic objectives. The Strategy Unit has been responsible for actively supporting the planning and execution of those initiatives by the relevant organizational owners, including project management and governance support. The Strategy Unit also provides problem-solving support to the organization, supporting particular initiatives or removing barriers that emerge during implementation.
As a core member of the Strategy Unit you will enable this organization of more than 12,000 staff to overcome the largest hurdles it faces in putting its new 'IRC2020 strategy' into action. Whether it is supporting the development and execution of a strategy for how the IRC seeks to influence policy, or helping the organization to measure and improve its performance, your work will spread far and wide within the organization and ultimately impact the lives of those who interact with the IRC and its partners - more than 26 million people worldwide in places affected by war and disaster.
The Strategy Unit's Delivery team has so far supported the delivery of IRC's new strategy through three main channels: direct management of selected strategic projects, portfolio management across multiple projects, and the creation and support of a governance structure to track, support and guide the execution of the IRC2020 strategy. As we move forward, the focus is increasingly on understanding how the changes brought by these various strategic projects fit together when rolled out, understanding the resourcing and change management required to succeed, and beginning to test and roll out this ambitious transformation in an integrated and coordinated way.
As a core member of this team, the Senior Strategy Manager - Delivery team, will provide strategic planning and problem-solving to support the organization deliver on its strategic ambitions. He or she will be part of a small team focused on using strategic thinking and result-oriented project management to support teams across multiple departments and various locations go through the ambitious transformation the IRC2020 strategy aims to achieve. He or she will be responsible for leading day-to-day project or work-stream execution, managing and coaching more junior team members as needed, overseeing problem structuring and solving, and having primary responsibility for driving the quality of the projects or work-streams. This is a challenging position which requires strong strategic problem-solving skills, project management skills, excellent interpersonal skills, a high level of personal initiative and the ability to work well in a distributed, multicultural, fast-paced environment.
The role will report into the Director of the Strategy Unit, Delivery team. The Director performs an oversight role for the Strategy Unit's Delivery team, and holds primary responsibility for defining, promoting and executing on the plans and support structures needed to achieve the change promoted by IRC's strategy as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Engage closely with staff across the IRC who are responsible for planning and implementing changes promoted by IRC's strategy, provide project management and problem-solving support, and facilitate decision-making and consensus-building as part of a team
- Engage and facilitate work across wide variety of stakeholders across globally distributed business units, and coordinate stakeholder communications to support the delivery of IRC's strategy ambitions
- Personally drive work-stream or project delivery, generating critical insights and tailoring and delivering effective communications to drive change, through the proactive solicitation and use of information, judgment, problem-solving methodologies and sector knowledge
- Collaborate closely and regularly with the supervisor to align on work planning, iterate on solutions and find workarounds as needed
- Effectively manage own work-streams and work-streams of others on the team as required
- Closely manage progress against objectives, highlighting risks and roadblocks as soon as they arise and taking personal ownership for high-quality timely delivery
- Act as a thought partner to Strategy Unit's leadership and contribute to thinking on the most effective and efficient ways to roll out the changes promoted by IRC's strategy across the organization
- Give and receive regular developmental feedback and contribute actively to creating a positive, focused and effective team environment
- Adopt a learning mindset and take personal responsibility for continuous performance improvement, and for supporting the ongoing growth and success of the Strategy Unit, Delivery team against its broader objectives
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Director, Strategy Unit - Delivery team
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
- Regular engagement with senior IRC stakeholders in leadership positions
- Strategy Unit leadership (Senior Director of Strategy, SVP of Operations and Strategy)
- Strategy Unit team members
- As needed
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent and 5-7 years of progressive experience with demonstrated high performance
- Experience in project managing large-scale, cross-functional projects
- Excellent problem solving skills and solid analytical skills
- A results-driven and solution-oriented approach to work, proven personal initiative and an ability to respond proactively and positively to ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, proven ability to communicating effectively with members of a complex organization at multiple levels
- Capability to manage and make progress against multiple simultaneous demands in short time frames, and to adapt to new challenges in a dynamic context with shifting priorities
- A strong focus on personal growth and development, and a willingness to regularly receive and act on performance feedback in pursuit of continuous professional growth
- Resilience in response to setbacks, and an ability to anticipate and overcome barriers to success
- A 'no task too small' mentality to achieve results in a small team
- High level of comfort with MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Preferred Additional Requirements
- Experience in a strategy role at either a management consulting firm, or in the strategy development function of a global organization
- An MBA or a Master's degree in international development, human rights or another field related to the IRC's work
- Experience in a humanitarian or development organization, or similar
- Knowledge of French or Arabic
- Standard office work environment
- Some travel as needed
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l'Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l'exploitation et les abus, la protection de l'enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l'intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required