District of Columbia
Orb. One World. One Story.
Orb produces a new kind of journalism that challenges and unites us as a global community around our human story.
Orb is a start-up journalism organization born to take full advantage of the opportunities of the digital era. Orb engages the newly available digital tools to invigorate its reporting and generate a fresh type of journalism designed to resonate with and be relevant to the diverse global audience we can now instantly reach.
Orb creates journalism projects on eight core topics. Food, water, energy, health, education, environment, trade and governance. We practice pro-active, rather than event driven, journalism. And in order to generate one story for our one world, we’re shaking up the way we do – and deliver – journalism.
We are looking for a Fundraising Manager to support the organization’s development and sustained growth. Reporting to the Chief Development & Communications Officer, the Development Manager will be responsible for working with Orb’s fundraising team to maximize fundraising opportunities that will catalyze the organization’s growth.
The Fundraising Manager will coordinate and capitalize on the organization’s existing work, relationships, and research as Orb continues to grow. The ideal candidate will be able to think strategically and execute tactically – Orb is a start-up and needs that kind of enthusiasm and entrepreneurial spirit. Must be familiar with and fluent in standard fundraising best practices and procedures in nonprofit fundraising. Orb welcomes diverse candidates from all backgrounds. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Candidate will support the development and execution of Orb’s annual fundraising plan and coordinate and execute fundraising strategies to help secure support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. Responsible for helping to identify new donors and organize initiatives to solicit funding.
- Manage and curate research for assessing possible sources of revenue
- Stay abreast of opportunities to expand revenue pipeline through knowledge of industry trends and an understanding of Orb’s expanding network
- Collaborate with CEO and CDO to reach fundraising targets
- Position CEO and CDO to make successful fundraising asks
- Develop and manage relationships with donor prospects
- Utilize Orb fundraising processes and tools to stay abreast of developing relationships and guide the Development team forward, in support of the fundraising plan
- Develop stewardship plan for existing donors and champion its implementation
- Manage online and small individual giving
- Support board development and management activities to ensure effective governance and engaged relationships with Orb’s Board of Directors
- Develop promotional materials for Orb – both corporate and fundraising collateral
- Draft talking points and produce materials to support thought leadership opportunities
Coordinate and manage the life-cycle of a grant -
- coordinate/execute drafting of content and budgets
- shepherd revisions and submissions
- monitor outcomes
- maintain records of grant agreements
- produce acknowledgement letters
- support tracking of monitoring and evaluation measures, in support of grant objectives
- coordinate, draft, and execute grant reporting process
- Manage and implement effective use of SalesForce and other knowledge management tools to ensure the best possible capture of gift history and other institutional memories
- Produce acknowledgement letters to donors and maintain donor record-keeping in IRS-compliant fashion
- Oversee coordination of fundraising team schedules
- Manage travel and conference participation logistics, as needed
- Support event execution, as needed
- BA (required) 4-5+ years experience in fundraising
- International experience and familiarity with Orb’s work and issue areas a plus
- Proven track record in fundraising, development, and management
- Proven track record in grants management
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time and solve complex problems
- Experience developing and managing budgets
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial/ startup environment
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Proficiency using SalesForce or similar CRM, iOS, Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel), and familiarity with Google Drive
Orb offers a competitive package. We have great health, dental and vision insurance.
We also pay for life insurance, short term and long-term disability and offer generous 401k matching. And the icing on the cake: 20 vacation days, 2 floating holidays, sick days, five federal holidays, plus the week from Christmas through New Years day is paid time off. We take very good care of our people.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send an email to email@example.com with the following materials attached as separate documents:
- your résumé,
- Cover letter answering: What are the emerging trends and innovations in the fundraising sector which could be most pertinent to the role at Orb? What fundraising accomplishment are you most proud of; and how is relevant to the position at Orb?
- two writing samples.