Details: Salary will be commensurate with experience.
AFTD (www.theaftd.org) seeks a talented, detail-oriented writer looking to make a difference in the lives of tens of thousands of American families. As the right candidate for this role, you will demonstrate a talent in telling stories – and will have the chance to leverage and expand that skill by writing for a wide array of audiences, and making an absolutely vital contribution to the fight against young-onset dementia.
AFTD is a globally recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit providing help and advancing hope for families facing frontotemporal degeneration (FTD), the most common dementia for people under age 60. Established in 2002, AFTD has grown rapidly to a staff of 20, with a strong Board of Directors, highly respected Medical Advisory Council, and national network of volunteers. The organization provides support to thousands of people diagnosed and caregivers while directing more than half of its annual budget toward grants that drive scientific research in the understanding, diagnosis and treatment of FTD.
Under the guidance of the Communications Manager, and in collaboration with AFTD’s Development & Communications Team, the Staff Writer will write in varied contexts daily to expand AFTD’s reach, sustainability and impact. Limited travel to key events will give the Writer opportunities to hear and learn directly from the people we serve.
Grant-writing and Writing to Support AFTD Fundraising
1. Collaborate with key staff to identify strategic projects for funding; research and identify new government, corporate, foundation and private funding prospects.
2. Development and timely submission of well-researched, well-written funding proposals.
3. Write proposals and other materials in support of AFTD donor relations and events.
4. Help to maintain and fulfill a calendar of solicitations, reports and renewal proposals.
Creating and Curating AFTD Content
1. Write, revise, catalog and maintain content for a variety of additional contexts and audiences, including AFTD’s website, resources and publications.
2. Write to support content development for AFTD’s program and research staff, effectively channeling expertise from a variety of program areas into accessible, compelling copy.
3. Write varied content and promotional copy for AFTD grassroots events.
4. Provide technical assistance to other staff in content creation as needed.
5. Help to maintain a schedule of content updates for AFTD’s website and publications.
Key Qualifications and Characteristics:
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism or marketing preferred.
· Three or more years of professional writing experience, with demonstrated fundraising communications success and health/science/disease-advocacy writing experience a plus.
· Excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
· Strong interpersonal and project management skills; ability to manage multiple deadlines.
· Proficiency in web communications and MS Office suite; social media a plus.
· Experience with or ability to learn: WordPress, MailChimp, Salesforce.
The position offers paid time off, health benefits, and a retirement savings plan with an employer match.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required