Instructional Support Teacher (Network Substitute)- immediate Temporary opening
- Job posted by Achievement Prep
Details: $15-$20 per hour
908 Wahler Place, SE
What You Will Do
The Instructional Support Teacher plays the critical role of ensuring continuity of instruction, classroom culture, and school-wide systems by providing coverage in classrooms, as well as throughout Achievement Prep schools, when classroom teachers are absent. S/he supports the network of schools located at Wahler Place and may serve in either the elementary or middle school on any given day. In addition, the Instructional Support Teacher is expected to fully participate in all community-based events and procedures during the school day for one specific school, such as lunch and dismissal, as well as all afterschool commitments required of instructional staff members.
This is a temporary hourly position to cover classes while full-time employees are on planned extended leave. The expected term for this role is August 2018 through January 2019 with a potential for extension.
Reporting to the Assistant Principal of Instruction, you will:
- Serve as an internal substitute teacher
- Work across the network to substitute both elementary (K – 3) and middle (4 – 8) school classes when teachers are absent
- Substitute classes for any and all instructional staff members who are absent on a given day
- Collaborate with instructional staff and/or school leaders on lesson planning and assessment, when applicable
- Provide long-term coverage for a specific course, when applicable
- Communicate frequently and proactively with families of scholars you serve
- Implement Achievement Prep behavior system with fidelity
General School Support
- Support the facilitation of school-wide testing and examinations
- Serve as additional support in higher-need classrooms
- Provide small-group tutoring
- Be an additional support throughout the buildings when there are no teachers absent
- Attend all daily morning staff meetings and applicable weekly grade-level meetings
- Participate in all staff professional development sessions
- Engage in additional school-wide responsibilities, such as lunch/recess duty, hallway posts, events committees, etc.
- Receive continuous feedback from peers and school leaders on your practice and be expected to give the same
- Embody our core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Maintain a culture centered on our ethos and core values of Determination, Respect, Enthusiasm, Accountability, and Mastery
- Exhibit an unwavering commitment to high academic achievement and character development in our scholars
- Be on campus from at least 7:30 AM to at least 5:00 PM daily
- Manage time, tasks, deadlines and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment and hold others accountable for the same
- Attend and support events during the school day and in the evenings (monthly) that invite families into the building
Be willing to take on additional responsibilities as necessary to fulfill Achievement Prep’s mission for our scholars
You Must Have
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1+ years of experience working in an urban setting with children in historically underserved communities
It Would Be Nice for Your to Have
- Prior substitute teaching experience
Who You Are
You know and understand the power of education and have seen, first hand, that power manifested either in your life or in the lives of others. You are committed to serving historically underserved communities knowing that your work is part of a larger ecosystem committed to change. You believe in a quality public education for all and are determined to serve every child that comes your way. You are unapologetically mission driven and will do whatever it takes to advance the work and ensure scholar achievement. You are excited about not just the work, but doing the work at Achievement Prep. You are familiar with our community and are not afraid of or by all the beauty and challenges that come with living in impoverished communities. You value and respect everyone and demonstrate that respect in words and actions.
You revel in the idea that no two days will be the same. On Monday you may be supporting scholars in kindergarten learn to read. Tuesday may be in 4th grade build their reading comprehension skills in science. And then by Wednesday, you may be working with 8thgraders as they read and analyze complex novels. For you, it’s about being consistent across the board, moving the curricula forward in the absence of the classroom teacher, and providing additional support to the schools in whatever way necessary. You respect timelines and know that meeting the same are not optional or to be taken for granted. You are open to feedback, eager to grow, and bring your best to everything you do. You know the work isn’t easy and don’t expect for it to be. The grind of our mission ignites you. You are not only capable of performing but thrive in circumstances involving ambiguity and nuance. You look for or create the joy in your day-to-day and want to work with others who do, too.
What We Value
- 100% Scholars: You prioritize what’s best for scholars first.
- Results Without Excuses: You set, track and achieve ambitious goals; and you own the mistakes.
- Sweat the Small Stuff: You pay attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Community Matters – Mightily: You show care and respect for others – even when the work is taxing.
- Unapologetically Mission-Driven: You have a “whatever it takes” mentality in achieving the mission.
- Many Minds, One Mission: You value and partner with parents and the community for the good of scholars.
What You Get
Our teachers are worth more than gold, they’re platinum!
- Ongoing weekly or bi-weekly coaching and development from direct supervisor
- Wednesday afternoon professional development tailored to teacher needs
- Compensation & Benefits:
- Achievement Prep offers highly competitive compensation & benefits
- Medical, vision, dental benefits
- Flexible spending accounts for transit, dependent care, and medical expenses
- 401k with automatic immediate employer matching up to 4%
- It Pays to Stay:
- Upon completion of 2 full school years of service, employees become eligible for annual loyalty incentives
- Gifts and Achievement Prep swag
Minimum Education Required