633 Third Avenue
ACLS Mission and Overview
The American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS), a private, nonprofit federation of 75 national scholarly organizations, is the preeminent representative of American scholarship in the humanities and related social sciences. Since our founding in 1919, ACLS has worked to advance humanistic studies by awarding fellowships and strengthening relations among learned societies. Other activities include support for scholarly conferences, reference works, and scholarly communication. ACLS currently has a staff of 27, almost all of whom work out of our office in New York City.
The leadership is looking forward to ACLS’s next phase of growth, which necessitates building ACLS’s organizational capacity, further professionalizing the workforce, systems and processes.
About the Position
ACLS is seeking an Executive Assistant (EA) to support the work of the Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. In addition to supporting the administrative needs of the VP/COO, the EA will support project and analysis work that draws upon the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) data and will be prepared to assist other staff in their CRM data work. ACLS uses a Microsoft Dynamics CRM as core infrastructure for managing the organization’s extensive and long-standing fellowship application and review functions, for managing a wide range of institutional and individual relationships, and for supporting annual and campaign giving. The EA will need to be enthusiastic about learning and working with this core system to support analysis and programmatic needs across the organization.
Key job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
In his/her capacity as executive assistant to the VP and COO, he/she will compile data from the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, prepare reports and mailings, handle information requests and perform functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls and scheduling meetings.
- Travel planning and expense reporting for the VP/COO.
- Organize meeting materials and correspondence for the VP/COO.
- Create reports drawn from ACLS’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software.
- Support a range of ACLS staff in use of the CRM for pull lists for personalizing mail merged files, queries, and analysis questions
- Develop additional standardized reports, tools, templates, processes, and workflows as needed. Assist other staff with CRM troubleshooting and training.
- Aid in planning (site selection, local arrangements) and preparation of materials for meetings and convenings.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel. Dynamics experience a plus.
- Proficient in using database software (such as Dynamics, SalesForce, Mailchimp, Nimble, or another CRM); experience generating queries, list management, data manipulation, and reporting
- Interest in and comfort in training and supporting other staff with varying degree of CRM comfort and requirements.
- Strong work ethic coupled with enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work.
- High degree of professionalism and integrity; the ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment, discretion and confidentiality at all times.
- Superior organizational skills with formidable attention to detail.
- Problem-solving skills demonstrating flexibility and initiative.
- Nonprofit or academic institution experience preferred.
- Eligible to work in the United States at time of hire.
ACLS offers a competitive package of benefits.
ACLS is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our employees and welcome applications from all individuals, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, or military service. ACLS provides a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to the attention of James Shulman at email@example.com. Please indicate your name and “Executive Assistant " in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered. Thank you for your interest in career opportunities with ACLS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.