334 Amsterdam Avenue
Manage group exercise operations and frontline desk staff in the JCC Health Club including (i) all drop-in group exercise classes and studio management and (ii) frontline/welcome desk management. This position supervises staff who work in these areas and coordinates with JCC management to reach organizational goals. Provide a safe and positive experience to members and guests in the JCC Health Club facilities and group exercise classes, ensuring programs, staff and services meet and exceed the JCC’s values-driven member service standards at all times. This is a front-facing management job with the highest degree of direct member/constituent contact.
- Group Exercise Management
- Responsible for planning and execution of 100+ classes on weekly drop-in group exercise schedule plus the hiring, management, evaluation, and payroll of 60+ group fitness instructors
- Communicate with group fitness instructors on all issues including scheduling, subbing and payroll discrepancies. Maintain group listserv.
- Monitor, analyze and report on group ex participation, usage and trends. Recommend and execute changes to schedule to meet member needs. Stay current in the field.
- Prescribe group ex programming for prospects and members
- Studio management including tracking/ensuring cleaning and upkeep of equipment and working with front desk staff to ensure inventory system for all studios.
- Produce group exercise schedule + holiday schedules and ensure schedules and classes are current/accurate on marketing mediums (print, web, plasma screen, etc.)
- Maintain MindBody group exercise schedule with “live instructor” information.
- Frontline/Welcome Desk Staff and Operations
- Supervise 2 Desk Managers and daily responsibilities of the entire 4th and 5th Floor Welcome Desk staff (9 full-time + 6-8 part-time)
- Supervise the scheduling of all front desk coverage (done by Desk Manager) and help Desk Manager assign MOD and back-up coverage as necessary; negotiate vacation request and time off conflicts
- Create training and systems to ensure quality control and top member service is provided by desk staff consistently across all open hours.
- Supervise frontline/welcome desk operations as point-of-sale for PT and Massage.
- Ensure new member integration standards and guest policies (including fitness consultations, guest passes, courtesy visits) are being handled correctly.
- General Member Service and Quality Control: Warmly greet members and guests in the Center for Health and Wellness.
- Model the highest member service standards for frontline team, and train them on best practices.
- Troubleshoot customer issues and train staff on appropriate response.
- Adhere to safety policies/procedures. Remain aware of potential hazards or unsafe conditions.
- Bi-weekly and Quarterly meetings with Chief Health & Wellness Officer and COO
- Perform administrative duties
- ADDITIONAL DUTIES
- Act as Manager on Duty (MOD) as assigned for Health Club floors 3 to 6
- Assist with special projects, events and promotions as needed.
- Attend all meetings and training sessions as required.
- Working Special fitness events on Jan 1 as needed
- JOB REQUIREMENTS
- EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- • Strong supervision or management experience required.
- • Minimum 7 years Customer Service Experience in a related field.
- • Minimum 5 years of group fitness management.
- College degree preferred.
- • Strong written and verbal communication skills
- • Non-profit or community center fitness/wellness experience a plus.
- • CPR/AED certification; additional First Aid training a plus
- • Computer literacy: Office/Word/ Excel, Web-savvy; and willing to learn other computer programs as required by job. Social media, database or website management a plus.
- Sundays 2:00-10:00pm MOD shift required
- *Flexible Weekday Schedule Required – Need to be willing and able to shift schedule regularly as part of providing direct oversight of the JCC’s group exercise schedule (which runs 7 days/wk) and supervision for the JCC Health Club desk staff. This is not a “9-5” job as periodic monitoring, problem-solving and supervision will be required during various different shifts of the JCC’s Health Clubs open hours. Additionally, need to be able to serve as MOD or emergency back-up for frontline staff. Here is a sample schedule:
- Sunday 2-10pm
- Mon: 11-7pm
- Tues: 10-6pm
- Wed: 5:30am-1:30pm
- Thu: 8am-4pm
- Fri/Sat OFF
THINKING & REASONING
• Strong independent decision-making skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, communications, and member service skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability to exhibit enthusiasm for the job, the Health Club, and the JCC.
• Requires a wide range of constant physical activities, including but not limited to: sitting,
standing, walking, stair-climbing, bending, kneeling, twisting, pushing, pulling, and reaching.
• Frequent repetitive movements.
• Frequent movement, lifting or carrying of objects or weights up to 45 lbs.
• Requires close, distance, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Medical, PTO, 403(B), FSA, Transit, free membership to state of the art fitness and aquatics center.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications without a cover letter including salary requirements and resume will not be considered.