Summary of Position:
The Steward works in concert with the Superintendent to deliver excellent standards in conservation of the Andover/North Andover Management Unit site properties, including ensuring and enhancing the visitor experience. The Steward also supports stewardship projects and provides support for event programming as needed.
- Work in concert with the Superintendent to plan and perform the day-to-day maintenance, stewardship and conservation of properties.
- Must have horticulture, formal landscape, land management and/or management experience.
- Implement seasonal maintenance programs for grounds keeping and landscaping or as directed.
- Experience managing cultural/historic landscapes and/or maintaining structures and building systems a plus.
- Assist specialist teams as needed in stewardship conservation projects.
- Assist Superintendent with general supervision of part-time and seasonal staff and volunteers.
- Support visitor experience, safety, and services through safety patrols, monitoring, and ensuring proper wayfinding, clean and functioning facilities.
- Work under the direction of the Superintendent to develop budgets and work plans, identify special projects and volunteer opportunities.
- Support special events and other significant programs that expand the visibility of the properties and The Trustees.
- Represent The Trustees in a variety of forums.
- May be required to work on weekends and/or evenings to attend meetings, participate in or lead programs, workshops and/or tours or to ensure the protection of the property and/or the safety of the visiting public.
- Participation in activities at other Trustees properties may occasionally be required.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
- Associate Degree in Arboriculture, Horticulture, Natural Resources, or other related field.
- A minimum of three years professional experience associated with the responsibilities of the position.
- Excellent “people skills” to lead, inspire, motivate and work cooperatively and harmoniously with fellow employees, volunteers, committees, members and the public.
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively as a team member.
- Proven ability to complete assigned tasks and projects, meet deadlines and manage multiple tasks.
- The ability to operate a tractor/backhoe and similar large equipment.
- Experience using a chainsaw and other small power tools.
- Basic computer skills
- Strong commitment to the mission of The Trustees of Reservations.
- Valid driver’s license required for driving Trustees vehicles.
- Possess a valid Massachusetts pesticide applicator’s license, or be willing and able to acquire one within 6 months of hire.
- CORI check required.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- The ability to work in all weather conditions,
- Lift up to 50 pounds
- Push and pull heavy objects
- Climb ladder
Benefits and Salary:
This is a full time , non-exempt, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in April 2018. This position is based in North Andover.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Trustees of Reservations:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required