The 1.3-million-member United Food Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women is seeking a Secretary to the Region Director that will serve principally as secretary and personal assistant to the Region Director. The Secretary will also perform the clerical, secretarial, administrative and business detail for the Director and staff. This position is located in Atlanta, Georgia. Applicants will be required to take skills tests.
· Takes and transcribes dictation of routine, technical or confidential nature, composing routine correspondence, preparing expense vouchers, filing, sorting and routing mail, flagging deadlines or action items, answering telephone. Exercises considerable initiative, judgment and discretion in setting priorities and accomplishing duties.
· Supervises the support staff in the region office by assigning duties and issuing instructions when needed to meet deadlines and expedite workflow. Examines letters as required for exactness, neatness, and adherence to policies and procedures. Informs staff of new policies or procedures. Resolves minor complaints or problems as they arise and identifies other administrative problems and informs the Director and/or recommends solutions.
· Assists in the orientation and training of new support staff in the office. Responsible for cross training of support staff. Performs backup duties for other office secretaries in their absence or as needed.
· Makes travel arrangements, scheduling of appointments, maintaining suspense dates for correspondence, subsidies, and borrowed manpower. Alerts the Director of due dates, expiration dates or items needing action.
· Monitors the region office petty cash fund, submitting receipts to the International Office for
reimbursement within required guidelines.
· Maintains regional files and logs pertaining to budget expenditures. Prints monthly budget
reports to assist the Director.
· Bookkeeper for the Region 5 Council and the Southern Political Action Committee. Maintains logs and bank records according to current law. Makes deposits and pays bills as required. Makes arrangements for yearly audit of records, submits required government forms by required deadlines and prepares correspondence as needed. Informs of the financial status of each organization.
· Point of contact for the meat cutter scholarship fund. Prepares correspondence, pay bills, maintains all records, and keeps Trustees informed of all activities.
· Coordinates administrative aspects of meetings and other events as required including serving as a liaison between the office and staff. Keeps Director informed of activities.
· Primary point of contact for the Region Office computer system, including the responsibility of seeing that data entry is performed on a timely basis, troubleshooting, and taking appropriate action to correct any problems. Provides on-the-job training for staff as needed. Responsible for the security and backup of the system and alerts the Director to any major problems.
· Responsible for maintaining contact with building manager and maintenance staff for office maintenance and security. Maintains a copy of the lease for office space and all pertinent correspondence.
· Responsible for the maintenance of filing and indexes, as well as files disposition in accordance with established guidelines and procedures.
· Protects region office operations by processing and maintaining sensitive and confidential communications, including but not limited to personnel matters, labor relations matters, and financial matters.
· Progressive secretarial experience, preferably supporting a senior level position, and extensive knowledge of the organization's structure, policies, and procedures. Basic bookkeeping experience is required.
· Keyboarding skills 65 WPM. Shorthand and fast notes are required.
· Experience using MS Word and Excel is required. Ability to accurately maintain databases is required. Knowledge of accessing and utilizing the Internet. Knowledge of working with a network system, including methods of maintaining the security of a network system. Must be willing to acquire new software skills.
· Ability to professionally compose correspondence. Ability to read and interpret documents, policy and procedure manuals, and the ability to communicate them to others.
· Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills particularly on telephone calls.
· Must have excellent problem-solving skills and be highly organized.
· Knowledge of and interest in the labor movement is desirable.
*Skills assessments with passing scores are required as part of our pre-employment process.*
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The 1.3-million-member United Food Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women is seeking a Secretary to the Region Director that will serve principally as secretary and personal assistant to…
Submit cover letter, resume and references.
Submit cover letter, resume and references.