Truthdig is seeking an entrepreneurial, ambitious manager of external affairs to work closely with the publisher in leading the online magazine’s continued expansion.
The manager, who will report directly to the publisher, will lead Truthdig’s development and marketing/communications efforts; will be responsible for fundraising, data management, and donor outreach and cultivation; will develop online systems that promote the long-term success of the company.
The manager will also be responsible for overseeing advertising revenue streams and will supervise contract positions in development as well as third-party agencies brought in to advance the website’s marketing and ad development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Developing and directing innovative high-level fundraising efforts that produce significant gifts from donors, both existing and prospective.
● Working with the publisher and third-party contractors or agencies to develop and execute Truthdig’s overall strategy to meet short-term and long-term fundraising goals.
● Enhancing Truthdig’s cultivation of major donors, including individuals and foundations.
● Playing a strong leadership role in integrating fundraising efforts for the website and social media outlets, including membership programs and events.
● Developing and analyzing data-driven research from the website to help inform all fundraising and marketing initiatives.
● Enhancing and developing Truthdig’s corporate and media partnerships.
● Leading, motivating and supervising contract employees or third-party agencies that assist in achieving Truthdig’s overall marketing and development goals.
● Working with the publisher and third-party contractors or agencies to oversee formulation and execution of a development and marketing plan, with a goal of bringing new readers and subscribers to the online magazine as well as raising awareness of the brand. Truthdig’s integrated marketing communications strategy includes advertising, public relations, and digital and social media efforts as well as strategic partnerships.
● Furthering Truthdig’s efforts to reach and engage new audiences.
● Enhancing member experience.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
Truthdig is seeking an exceptional, self-motivated leader who will contribute to the organization’s overall strength and success. Applicants should be proficient in creating digital organizational infrastructure that will help the company grow.
Applicants should have at least an undergraduate degree and at least three years of relevant experience in nonprofits, fundraising or media, along with a strong desire and ability to quickly and assume a leadership role.
The ideal candidate will:
● Have experience working in Salsa or equivalent donor CRM.
● Have a record of successfully building and cultivating relationships and utilizing a strong network of contacts.
● Have knowledge of professional standards and legal parameters regarding fundraising activities.
● Have a background in institutional development at various levels, a proven fundraising record, and capacity to formulate both traditional and entrepreneurial strategies.
● Have experience in developing and managing budgets.
● Have strong management skills and experience in both leading teams and working collaboratively as part of a team.
● Have demonstrated ability to select, train, motivate, and inspire professional partners while holding them accountable for their performance.
● Have demonstrated ability to direct and execute effective strategies and tactics for marketing, including social and online media, and public relations.
● Have experience in working successfully and collaboratively with senior leadership and board members.
● Be a highly organized strategic thinker. Have experience in establishing clear direction, operating toward objectives, and meeting deadlines.
● Be an energetic and enthusiastic leader, comfortable with both the creative elements and technical components of the role.
● Have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills – ability to build consensus across internal and external constituents.
● Have a high level of resilience and comfort, along with patience and a sense of humor, in managing strong personalities.
● Have interest and experience in media, journalism and progressive politics.
Minimum Education Required