The Controller will serve as the financial steward and will be responsible for optimizing all administrative and related functions within accounting and finance, ensuring full compliance with all local, state and government regulations.
The Controller will develop and implement appropriate financial strategies, policies and practices while managing the day-to-day accounting and finance tasks as required.
All activities are to be aligned with the Museum’s mission, vision, and values. The Controller reports to the Executive Director and will also work with the Board Treasurer and Finance Committee .
- Perform all day-to-day accounting/finance functions.
- Prepare, analyze and interpret monthly and quarterly financial statements and management reports for Executive Director, Functional Management and the Treasurer / Finance Committee of the Board.
- Provide insight and advice on business performance to Executive Director and Functional Management
- Complete all duties in strict compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and government statutes.
- Maintain comprehensive systems providing consistent oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities.
- Provide for routine certified independent assessments of internal controls as well as audits.
- Serve as the principal liaison to external auditors, banking institutions and related vendors/entities.
- Oversee the development, approval process and transparent management/administration of all related budgets.
- Responsible for regular budget and cash flow analysis.
Education, Skills and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher. Accounting and/or finance a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Quickbooks.
- At least five years of experience with non-profit organizations in which you have successfully taken on new challenges and responsibilities.
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations are preferred though not required.
- Clear and creative communication skills – written and oral.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including budget adherence.