BSF is seeking a Director of Marketing & Communications that will be responsible for implementing the planning, development, and measurement of all of BSF strategic marketing and communications activities, both external and internal. This position directs the efforts of the Marketing & Communications department and coordinates on both strategic and tactical levels with the other departments of BSF.
The position reports to the Chief Storytelling and Revenue Officer (CSRO). Within BSF, the position has primary working relationships with the CSRO, and the senior management team, and directly manages the staff of the Marketing & Communications department. Outside BSF, the position coordinates with key communications vendors, funders and other strategic partners. In coordination with the CSRO, his position will engage with the Board of Directors (BOD), Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and other members of the senior management team in charting the direction of BSF, ensuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
Key job functions
Marketing, communications and fundraising
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive strategic marketing and communications that will 1) enhance BSF’s image and position within the nonprofit sector, 2) acquire and engage members and 3) grow an individual giving program
- Oversees the development of a targeted marketing plan to grow and engage our membership of military families; including engagement, new member acquisition, and fundraising
- Responsible for establishing and growing an individual giving program that targets supporters and donors, building a program informed costs, return of investment (ROI) and benchmarking
- Oversees marketing campaigns and initiatives such as Blue Star Families Welcome Week and Racial Equity and Inclusion Initiative (REI), raising the profile of BSF, our programs and impact
- Partners with Cause Marketing to develop and execute Cause Marketing campaigns that help raise money and engage members and supporters
- Ensures strategic storytelling is incorporated into every touchpoint
- Ensure consistent articulation of BSF’s desired image, message, and position, both internally and externally
- Responsible for the editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all BSF print and electronic materials such as letterhead, logos, brochures, presentations, etc.
- Manages that strategy and planning of our marketing channels and services, including social media (organic and paid), design, email, and web
- When needed, coordinates and oversees market research and competitive assessments
- Oversee the management, maintenance, and performance evaluation of BSF’s website and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram, Flickr, Pinterest), including the creation of all content, graphics, images, and videos
- Oversee all website and social media analytics monitoring and implementation, search engine optimization (SEO) efforts, and SEO-related content edits
- Develop and maintain evaluation systems related to the goals and objectives of the Marketing & Communications department and report progress to the SCRO
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the Marketing & Communications department, monitor progress, ensure adherence, and evaluate performance
- Recommend short- and long-term BSF goals and objectives to the CSRO
- Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications, public relations, nonprofit management and governance, and the military community, and use this information to help BSF operate with initiative and innovation
- Other duties as assigned
- Work with the senior management team, other staff, and the BOD to develop and maintain a strategic perspective in organizational direction, as well as program and service delivery
- Ensure that BSF’s mission, vision, and values are pertinent and practiced throughout BSF
- Develop and coordinate means to seek regular input from BSF’s key constituencies regarding the quality of programs and services and BSF’s relevance
- Assist with the formulation and administration of policies to ensure the integrity and sustainability of BSF
- Recruit, train, supervise, and appraise qualified personnel in the Marketing & Communications department
- Maintain a professional climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel, both paid and volunteer
- Design, support, and oversee a cross-functional team that will collaborate effectively with other teams across BSF
Required experience, skills, background
- Minimum 7 years of experience in marketing and communications with demonstrated success, preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or experience gained through employment . Graduate degree in a related field, preferred
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications, managing the full marketing lifecycle: strategy, implementation, execution, and analysis
- Knowledge and experience in marketing strategy development
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated successful experience writing a range of communications - press releases, presentations, email copy, etc.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal sales skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience acquiring and engaging members and/or donors
- Experience with web analytics tools; familiarity with Google Analytics
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Out-of-town, overnight travel is required
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays as necessary to carry out key job functions
Desired experience, skills, background
- Experience with membership-driven organizations
- Experience fundraising in digital and/or direct mail programs to raise revenue
- Familiarity stewarding donors and creating supporting collateral to engage donors
- Familiarity with the military community
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems; familiarity with Salesforce
- Working knowledge of email service providers (ESP), targeted marketing campaign runs, and HTML template creation
- Experience with video production or oversight for marketing purposes
Blue Star Families is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disabilities.
As part of our commitment to the military community, we encourage applications from veterans and military family members.