Details: • $18 per hour, 20 hours a week.
Date: August 24, 2018
Title: Paralegal – Part Time
Department: CUNY Citizenship Now!
Location: New York, NY
CUNY Citizenship Now! provides free, high quality, and confidential immigration law services to help individuals and families on their path to U.S. citizenship. Our attorneys and paralegals offer one-on-one consultations to assess participants’ eligibility for legal benefits and assist them in applying when qualified. In addition to providing consultations and application assistance to the immigrant community at our centers, we regularly hold Citizenship Events in all five boroughs to assist members of the community with citizenship and naturalization issues.
Under the supervision of the Staff Attorney, the Paralegal provides support to immigrants within citizenship and immigration law matters. S/he provides direct support to participants seeking varying types of immigration relief. S/he demonstrates good research, investigative, counseling and interviewing skills. S/he has knowledge of immigration laws, concepts, practices, forms and procedures within the field. Additionally, S/he will coordinate office services, such as case management, records retention, and office supplies management and ensure that clients who visit the base office are properly served and that the rendered services are accurately recorded.
The candidate must have the flexibility to commute in the NYC area and be able to perform in different environments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
For all sites where participants will be assisted:
- Prepare immigration applications/petitions and draft affidavits on behalf of participants
- Work with clients to gather information and documentation
- Provide information and assistance to clients and callers, referring cases to Staff Attorney when appropriate
- Prepare written case notes for clients seen
- Follow office procedures on case management
- Submit all cases to attorneys for case review
- Plan and schedule client appointments and follow-up visits
- Ensures timely delivery of monthly and quarterly reports on clients served at the center
- Organize and maintain client paper and electronic files
- Ensure that the client receives the Participant Registration Form and Declaration of Understanding and both forms are completed prior to consultation
- Maintain shared appointment calendar with staff attorney
- Monitors and request office supplies and equipment
- Assist with other administrative tasks, as needed
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- This is a part time position for the duration of the project.
- $18 per hour, 20 hours a week.
- We offer a competitive comprehensive benefit package.
Level of Language Proficiency
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years relevant experience in immigration law
- Commitment to protecting the rights of low-income immigrants is strongly desired
- Flexibility to commute in the NYC area
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems in a courteous and professional manner
- Skilled to document and identify appropriate immigration laws to the supervising attorney and to understand legal terminology
- Proficiency in English and Spanish preferred
- Excellent writing, verbal, and computer skills
- Able to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision
- The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented, highly flexible, and self-motivated
- Willing to participate in one Saturday citizenship application event each month
Minimum Education Required