108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified bilingual (English/Spanish) Assistant Director with a strong commitment to social services and older adults to assist with program management at the NORC Forest Hills Program of Queens Community House. NORC Forest Hills of Queens Community House, is an "aging in place program" providing a variety of free health and social services designed to promote healthy living and well-being for the tenants 60 and over of the Forest Hills Cooperative. NORC services include case management, benefits assistance, health care education and monitoring, housekeeping, errands, transportation, support groups, volunteer opportunities, inter-generational programming, recreation and cultural activities and trips as well as access to senior center programs and services. The Assistant Director will assist in building a supportive community for older adults through outreach and recruitment of members, client needs and eligibility assessments, and arrangement of programs and services.
- Provide outreach to an ethnically diverse population including isolated and home-bound participants to maximize their use of services and inhibit social isolation; recruit new program members and volunteers.
- Provide supervision of two (2) NORC staff members.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information on services, benefits and entitlements to clients.
- Interview clients with age-related issues, including personal/family adjustments, finances, and physical/mental impairments, to determine nature and degree of problem.
- Conduct in-home assessments that include a determination of clients' needs; proceed with follow-up visits and reassessments to insure that appropriate services are being provided.
- Develop appropriate care plans to reflect client assessments.
- Maintain complete and accurate case records in a timely manner and compile monthly statistics and reports requested by DFTA.
- Facilitate appropriate groups for NORC members as needed.
- Develop and maintain partnerships with other agencies to expand resources; advocate and intervene with other agencies on behalf of clients.
- Arrange for provision of services, including linkage to volunteer, transportation and housekeeping services.
- Create/coordinate socialization programs and trips for members including frail, home-bound elderly and their caregivers.
- Assist to maintain and keep current outreach/event program bulletin boards.
- Participate in meetings, training and staff development activities.
- Attend conferences/trainings in house and at other agencies.
- Reports directly to the Director of Forest Hills Senior Center/NORC.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working in case management and group facilitation in the senior services sector.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ of supervision skills required.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships.
- Demonstrated flexibility when working on a team with shifting demands of a creative work environment.
- Self-motivated and resourceful, able to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and complete assignments under deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook and database management/search tools.
- Bilingual-English/Spanish verbal and written competencies required.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Low 40’s; w/ excellent benefits
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Assistant Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Queens Community House
C/o: NORC – Nicole Vaughn-Robinson
108-25 62nd Drive
Forest Hills, New York 11375