Womankind is the largest agency in the country focused on serving Asian survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault. Founded in 1982 as the New York Asian Women’s Center, Womankind is the second oldest Asian Pacific American gender-based-violence agency in the country. It is one of the largest minority-run and minority-governed GBV agencies in New York State. Womankind is the only pan Asian agency with a 24/7 multi-lingual hotline and NYS licensed emergency shelter program on the east coast. Womankind provides counseling, case management and advocacy services for over 1,400 women and children each year. We offer legal immigration and legal family services, ESL, employment, housing and financial literacy services. About 80% of our $6.2 million budget is from government funding. The rest is from individuals, foundations and corporations. Womankind has more than 80 staff. We have 6 sites.
The Womankind Director of Finance is pivotal to maintain fiduciary stewardship; to generate flexibility; and, to maximize the use of funds. With the associate controller and a part-time bookkeeper the Womankind finance director currently manages 17 Federal, State and City grants and about two dozen foundation and corporate grants.
The Director of Finance role is macro - entailing financial planning, management, trend analysis, projections, variance, cash flows, balance sheet and investment analysis. It is also hands on - including bookkeeping, accounting, budgeting, payroll, banking, auditing functions and grants management responsibilities.
The Director of Finance also has administrative responsibilities and helps to manage the day-to-day activities of Womankind. This includes developing and maintaining efficient and effective systems and processes, monitoring productivity and client satisfaction, negotiating insurance and other contracts, and strategizing and planning.
The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Executive Director.
- Work with the Executive Director to provide overall leadership for all aspects of the organization’s financial management, planning, reporting and analysis, and setting annual budgets that guide organizational priorities and decision-making
- Manage finance department staff
- Oversee the day-to-day management of accounting, financial reporting, grants management, cash-flow analysis and the yearly budgeting process
- Ensure compliance with the standards and reporting requirements of external stakeholders, including funders, auditors, donors, foundations and other relevant entities
- Negotiate and manage a variety of external vendor relationships for banking, accounting, legal, benefits, insurance and facilities; and, coordinating contract negotiation and renewals
- Work closely with the Board Treasurer, finance committee and audit committee
- Other duties as required by the Executive Director
- At least 3-5 years of senior level management experience in finance and administration
- Direct accounting/controller experience or close supervision of accounting and controller functions
- Strong non-profit finance experience, including overseeing audits
- Experience designing and implementing financial and operational systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization
- Track-record of success managing and delivering results for multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Superior analytical skills and a comfort level with strategic planning
- Flexibility combined with the ability to multi-task; comfort working in a fast-paced and expanding organization, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Strong emotional intelligence, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and external constituents
- Deep belief in Womankind’s mission and determination to grow the organization to be best in class
- CPA highly preferred. Master’s Degree in non-profit management or related field or equivalent experience required
- Extensive working knowledge of business accounting software highly preferred; example Fund EZ
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, oral and written communication skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit Cover Letter, Resume, and Salary Requirements to email@example.com. Include your name and “Director of Finance” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiter calls, please. Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.