Middle School Math Teachers [2018 - 2019 SY]
- Job posted by Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School (BUGS)
500 19th Street
Brooklyn Urban Garden Charter School is seeking a Middle School Math Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year!
Brooklyn Urban Garden School (BUGS), a small, independent, progressive charter school in South Slope/Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn is excited to find candidates who share our passion for sustainability and social justice.
BUGS educators are passionate and creative teachers, collaborative colleagues, and engaged community members who believe in our mission to provide a hands-on, interdisciplinary education to young adolescents of all abilities and backgrounds, with a focus on real-world problem solving and the exploration of environmental sustainability.
At BUGS, we value and respect teachers as educators, professionals, and individuals. As a growing faculty and community, we offer many opportunities for innovation, professional growth, and teacher leadership. We feature a strong, supportive community of learners, an active parent-teacher organization, and a positive student and staff culture.
BUGS team members are:
- Passionate about their content areas
- Dedicated to regularly assessing students and using the results to inform instruction
- Models of sustainability
- Able to empower adolescents to find their voice and take charge of their learning
- Collaborative with colleagues, students, and families
- Innovative self-starters who contribute to the good of a diverse community
- Committed to coaching adolescents in interpersonal skills and making good choices
- Passionate about getting students outdoors
- Reflective and open-minded
Our teachers are responsible for teaching subject-area courses in the context of an interdisciplinary, sustainability-focused curriculum. Teachers are supported in using project-based methodology and designing on-going fieldwork to enrich the units of study.
- New York State teaching certification or working towards certification
- Two years of teaching experience, highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
- Desire to work in a heterogeneous classroom with a range of ability levels and students of diverse socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds
- Commitment to collaboration, sustainability, continuous professional growth, and student achievement
- Preference given to candidates who have experience working with young adolescents
BUGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and staff. BUGS strongly encourages applications from minority candidates.
Thank you! We look forward to learning more about you.
Minimum Education Required