The MusicianShip is a DC-based nonprofit organization that facilitates music lessons, experiences, and opportunities to benefit youth who need us most. The MusicianShip uses music to alter the life trajectory of youth, thereby creating a more vibrant, educated, empowered, and well-intentioned world. We host free music programming for youth including summer programs, after-school programs, master classes, and international exchanges. In addition to our music education work, we have a suite of music experience brands, including the Washington Youth Choir, the Wammie Awards, and the DC Funk Parade.
The Musicianship DC is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We value our employees for their unique talents and abilities. We embrace and encourage our employee’s differences in backgrounds and experiences. All employees are valued for their individual differences and the unique contributions that help us achieve our organizational goals and support our youth. As a part of The MusicianShip’s team, employees attend annual training to promote a greater understanding and enhance employee knowledge in The Musicianship DC’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for telling the story of The MusicianShip’s impact on its youth and their community through the planning, implementation, and management of the organization’s social media presence, across our suite of brands. This role will also oversee email marketing campaigns across the brands, including fundraising efforts for our education programs, and will require design and review work on our website and social media. The Communications Manager will also collaborate with the team on creating marketing collateral, newsletters, and blog development.
Work Environment & Operations
The MusicianShip operates virtually without a central office. However, our programs operate in various satellite locations throughout Washington D.C. The position may require up to 90% virtual work and up to 10% travel to engage in outreach events, recruitment efforts, public performances, site visits, and etc. Expense reimbursements are available with appropriate documentation. Company communication is executed mostly through email and teleconference. This flexible, full-time position may require occasional evening and weekend availability.
Duties & Deliverables
The Communications Manager performs a wide range of duties including, but not limited to, the following:
Social Media & Blog
- Manages The MusicianShip’s social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Twitch, and other social mediums as needed by overseeing graphic design, development, and posting of all content. Accounts include branding for the DC Funk Parade, Wammie Awards, and The MusicianShip at large.
- Monitors content on social media channels and responds to follower posts and messages in a timely fashion, when needed, with the proper information
- Updates The MusicianShip’s Website Blog (at least monthly) with the latest email newsletter or sourced content from each department
- Collaborates with Youth Programs, Community Engagement, and Development teams to design the necessary content calendars for monthly department goals
- Utilizes organizational budget and leadership support to create successful marketing campaigns that directly influence target demographics
Branding & Collateral
- Protect, and manage the consistency and integrity of The MusicianShip’s brand voice
- Properly delineates organizational brand voices between Youth Programs, Funk Parade, and The Wammie Awards.
- Creates and manages brand systems for graphics administrators, ensuring cohesive visual aesthetics within all marketing campaigns
- Graphic creation and editing for virtual and hard copy formats
- Assists with creating auxiliary media materials, pitch and sponsorship deck content, and other organizational content.
- Drafts and sends press releases while maintaining The MusicianShip’s Media List
- Coordinates press opportunity logistics in concert with internal and external stakeholders to grow The MusicianShip’s regional media footprint.
- Identifies new opportunities for The MusicianShip, its stakeholders, and leaders to tell our story as needed (e.g., in a Forbes article about the need for arts education)
- Writes and edits email copy for segmented lists across brands using MailChimp account
- Writes and sends monthly newsletters, internally and externally, with support from leadership
- Develops email marketing series’ with the support of the Development Manager, Director of Youth Programs, and Director of Community Engagement (e.g., a welcome series)
- Maintains and manages Mailchimp account based on brand utilization and including CRM lists maintained using the LGL software.
- Updates website with content, as needed and requested by the Youth Programs and Community Engagement Departments.
- Manages communications tools, subscriptions, and accounts necessary to execute roles and responsibilities using the LastPass software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, Design Software (Canva, Adobe Acrobat & Photoshop required), and Hootsuite. Graphic design, strategy, marketing analysis, copywriting/proofing, branding, and public relations capabilities as relates to non-profit and entertainment marketing
- Works with other leaders in the organization to provide consistent external messaging for various audiences and demographics
- Provides counsel to departments on the best strategies and protocols for efforts in marketing, communications, and public relations
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Access to a computer and telephone to accommodate daily business correspondence.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience required
- 3-5 years of experience managing and executing social media marketing campaigns across several communications channels
- 3-5 years of design experience
- An experienced storyteller who can communicate the impact of programs to different audiences (Storybanking)
- Self-starter who thrives in a deadline-driven environment
- Very strong oral and written communication skills
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Microsoft Word
- Graphic Design Skills using Design Software (Canva, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, etc)
- WordPress and/or HTML
- Hootsuite or other social scheduling tools
- Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Calendar & Meet)
- Zoom, StreamYard
- Web Browsers such as Google Chrome & Safari
- Event Management Websites (Ticketing, Virtual Venues, Software Tools)
Universal Staff Requirements
All MusicianShip staffers are required and expected to:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and organizational practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Create/Innovate: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on Stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.