Program Assistant (Temporary for 3-6 months)
- Job posted by The Fund for Public Health in New York City, Inc.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City, (FPHNYC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNYC incubates innovative public health initiatives implemented by DOHMH to advance community health throughout the city. It facilitates partnerships, often new and unconventional, between government and the private sector to develop, test, and launch new initiatives. These collaborations speed the execution of demonstration projects, effect expansion of successful pilot programs, and support rapid implementation to meet the public health needs of individuals, families, and communities across New York City.
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is seeking a Program Assistant in our Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control. The Bureau spearheads programs and initiatives to reduce the burden of chronic disease and to address the underlying risk factors that lead to them, such as poor nutrition, physical inactivity, and tobacco use. The Health Department is located in Long Island City, Queens.
This is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional to gain valuable experience working in a government setting on groundbreaking chronic disease prevention efforts that serve as a model for public health initiatives nationwide. This individual will also have the opportunity to participate in Health Department meetings on a wide range of key public health topics.
· Plan for upcoming meetings by preparing the agenda and necessary supporting documents for review
· Attend meetings with key Bureau staff to provide a record of the discussion, decisions made, and next steps. Distribute follow-up items to Bureau staff, as needed
· Communicate with staff across the Bureau and Agency to collect and disseminate info and track programmatic updates
· Maintain records, answer inquiries, and draft correspondence, presentations, and reports.
· Conduct research on topic-specific programmatic approaches and initiate special projects as requested
- Candidate must have completed an undergraduate degree
- 1-2 years of work experience
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills, and follow-through
- Strong communication and writing skills
· Experience exercising independent judgment and initiative
- Ability to be work independently, be flexible, and handle changing workload with multiple projects and changing priorities
- Interest in public health and/or public policy
- Strong computer skills, particularly in in Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ideally available to work full-time, 25-30 hours per week also may be considered
3-6 month temporary position, with the possibility of extending longer
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Paid on an hourly basis consistent with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including how your experience relates to this position, to email@example.com indicating “BCDPTC Program Assistant_your name” in subject line. Interested candidates should respond by July 30, 2018.
The Fund for Public Health in New York City, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.