Details: Hourly wage: $13 to $15
North East Community Center
51 South Center Street
The North East Community Center, in Millerton, NY, seeks a Program Assistant to work in its After-School Connections Program with students in grades K-1, in the Webutuck Central School District, Town of Amenia. The Assistant will be supervised by the Program Coordinator, under the supervision of the After-School Program Director. The position is part-time, Mondays through Fridays, on full school days during the academic year, from September to the program closing date in June. The assistant will work approximately 20 hours per week as assigned between the hours of 2:30 and 6 pm. The Program Assistant is part of a classroom team of two leaders required for each group of up to 20 students.
The successful applicant will be someone who is committed to the mission and vision of the North East Community Center. Training or life experience in working with groups of young children ages 5 to 7 in a program setting is preferred. The successful applicant will need to be fingerprinted and background checked, tested for TB with negative results, able to lift 50 pounds, and able to sit on the floor with children.
The After-School Connections program provides a high-quality combination of enrichment and academic activities for the students of the Webutuck School. The Assistant will support the Coordinator in the classroom but will also be expected to lead the group in a variety of activities. The Assistant will be a mentor to children and will model positive and healthy lifestyle choices for the students. The Assistant will be familiar with all the standard procedures and policies required by Webutuck and by the after-school program and implement them with grace and professionalism.
- Follow a daily schedule that includes times for physical play, homework, snack, and activities
- Help lead group activities as assigned by the Program Coordinator and/or Program Director, including literacy activities, arts and crafts, games and special projects. Supervise children at all times and be aware of any safety issues. Be in attendance for program each afternoon. Interact positively with the children
- Prepare and serve a healthy snack each day. Keep the program director informed regarding needed supplies
- Participate in at least 15 hours of continuing education and training per year. Attend weekly staff meetings for After-School Program staff. Also attend meetings for all Community Center staff as well as case management meetings at least twice a month
- Maintain records as assigned
- Share the responsibilities for cleaning the program spaces
- Other duties as assigned by Coordinator
- At least 2 years prior experience working with young children
- Creative and imaginative in interactions with young children
- Enthusiastic about and familiar with young children and their development stages
- Flexible in carrying out daily work
- Interested in learning new teaching skills and methods
- Collaborative worker
- Diplomatic in engaging with teachers, parents and colleagues
To apply: Please submit a letter of interest stating relevant experience along with 3 professional references and a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Please write After School Assistant in the subject line.
Deadline for application: September 28, 2018; Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: salary, vacation
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency required
Bilingual Spanish-English desirable but not required
Minimum Education Required