Become a force for nature and a healthy planet by joining The Nature Conservancy! The Nature Conservancy has proudly been connecting land, water, wildlife, and people for over 60 years across the Midwest Region. We are seeking a knowledgeable, experienced professional to serve as our Midwest Climate and Energy Policy Advisor. This is an exceptional career opportunity for a highly motivated, capable individual interested in joining the world’s leading conservation organization. This position will join a team of collaborative and results-oriented professionals focused on meaningfully addressing the threat posed by climate change through policy, dialogue, and collaboration.
Our ideal candidate will be adept at building external networks and strategic partnerships with local and state government, the private sector, non-governmental agencies, academia and professional and trade associations to help form a broader, diverse coalition that supports and advances climate and energy policy. The Midwest Climate & Energy Policy Advisor will work closely with TNC state staff, TNC North American staff, volunteer leaders, and external consultants to identify opportunities and develop strategies to reach identified audiences with the aim of garnering support for targeted climate and energy policies. The Advisor will also lead efforts to better integrate TNC’s regional climate work by facilitating a community of practice and knowledge exchange among staff working on climate in the five-state region. Other responsibilities include providing research and policy analysis; tracking policies and decisions that directly affect TNC’s climate and clean energy goals; building and facilitating internal networks; and coordinating meetings, events, and presentations. We value collaborative approaches, diverse perspectives, and encourage innovative ideas.
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and 5 years of government relations or corporate sector experience, or equivalent combination.
· Experience with legislative, planning, policy or corporate initiatives at two or more of the following levels: federal, state, or municipal.
· Experience working with and communicating with partners, government agencies, government officials, business, academia, professional and trade associations, media and the private sector.
· Experience with strategy development and in developing and maintaining partnerships, coalitions, and collaborations.
· Strong verbal and written communications skills.
· Team player with strong listening, collaborative and diplomacy skills.
· Fluency in English.
· Master’s degree appreciated.
· Knowledge of and subject matter expertise related to climate change, clean energy, and sustainability.
· Experience presenting to and communicating with elected officials, management-level individuals within the corporate sector, and other key decision-makers.
· Fundraising (both public and private) experience.
· Experience building networks or organizational capacity, facilitating informational sessions, increasing knowledge sharing, and identifying key stakeholders.
· Strong time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position may be based in any of the five states the comprise TNC’s Midwest region – Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. We offer a competitive salary with great benefits. For a complete position description and to apply, visit http://nature.org/careers. The application deadline is Midnight EST August 29, 2018. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.