Genthiner Str. 48
JOB TITLE: International Head of Campaigns and Policy
REPORTING TO: Chief Operating Officer
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Heads of departments, Country Directors, Executive Team
LOCATION: Berlin headquarters (or remotely with frequent travel to Berlin)
ProVeg is a food awareness organisation with the mission to reduce global animal consumption by 50% by the year 2040. We are active in eight countries across four continents and growing rapidly. We work with governments, private companies, public institutions, medical professionals, and the public to help the world transition to a more plant-based society and economy that is sustainable for humans, animals, and our planet.
About the role
ProVeg has a track record of running inspiring and effective plant-based and vegan advocacy interventions, including campaigns, media outreach, events, projects and corporate engagement. We are increasingly active in European and global political decision-making fora in order to make our mission of a 50% reduction in global animal consumption by 2040 a reality and to create the biggest possible positive impact on the global stage.
As we develop a new strategic plan for 2019-2022, ProVeg is looking for someone to combine public facing, political and corporate campaigns internationally. The international head will coordinate a campaigns team in Berlin and our global network of campaigns and policy staffers. He/she will work closely with the head of political outreach and the Berlin-based policy team. Together, we aim to mobilise supporters, the wider public, corporate, political and other relevant influencers and stakeholders to address pressing global issues. The role holder will ensure our policy and campaigns are highly effective in their ability to influence and persuade key opinion, and behaviour and policy change across the countries in which ProVeg is active.
The international head will be an exceptional, strategic campaigner, who will act as senior spokesperson and relationship manager with external contacts and partners. They will also lead, manage and develop teams, enabling them to contribute to the design and delivery of campaigns.
Our ambition is to build a global movement where people, politicians and businesses revolutionise the ways they work and live, and where the significant reduction of animal consumption becomes a widely shared and deeply embedded priority.
- Contribute to the strategic direction for ProVeg’s international campaigns and policy initiatives, providing leadership, management and guidance;
- Foster collaboration with heads of department (in particular, political outreach, communications, fundraising, research, events, food industry and retail, and food services team) and country directors so as to maximise integrated impact across ProVeg’s wider activities;
- Deliver an annual operating plan and budget;
- Manage the performance and development of the team to deliver the agreed results;
- Prioritise, adapt and make decisions as necessary in a fast-moving context, responding to external factors in our campaigns and policy advocacy;
- Influence and persuade politicians and others in the political arena, and public and private policy to achieve the changes needed to reduce animal consumption;
- Lead the strategic thinking and implementation of our campaign strategy across ProVeg International;
- Develop strategic partnerships with external stakeholders across other NGOs and advocacy organisations to deliver joined up campaigns;
- Develop strong working relationships with key external influencers and the wider ProVeg network to deliver ProVeg campaigns;
- Educated to degree level.
- Extensive network and substantial experience of senior level networking.
- Experience of policy development, and developing and executing high impact global stakeholder engagement strategies to achieve changing opinions, campaign goals, and policy changes.
- Experience in strategic analysis of the external environment with the ability to identify and realise opportunities to accelerate goals.
- Experience of the analysis and development of effective policies across topics, functions and geographies.
- Experience of leading campaigns or working as part of campaign teams will be an advantage.
- Experience in public mobilisation is an advantage.
- Strong leadership qualities.
- Able to motivate and build high performing teams.
- Strong communication, influencing and relationship building skills, including: media, presentations, written and verbal communications, and ability to translate science articles and policy briefings into engaging messages for a wide variety of audiences
- First class analytical and decision-making abilities.
- Understanding of how international NGOs work and engage with the political agenda.
- Experience of working in multi-skilled and remote teams and effective project management in such an environment.
- Strong understanding of performance metrics and KPIs for campaigning and engagement.
- Strong organisational focus on personal development and designated training budget
- Delicious and healthy vegan lunch every day at our Berlin office
- Flexibility around working arrangements
- And last but not least: Become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and our planet
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and verbal English skills; additional language ability is desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply with your CV and a supporting statement.
The closing deadline is 5pm, 22 November 2018.
First interviews: early December
Second interviews: second week of December (TBC)
For more information, please contact Jasmijn de Boo, International Director, or Matthias Rohra, Chief Operating Officer.