Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
20 Jay St.
About Explore Schools
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school.
What We Believe:
- We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults.
- It is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
- Equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive – we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving towards excellent academic results.
About the Position
High quality computer science instruction prepares our students to navigate technology and build on rudimentary problem-solving skills to succeed in college prep high schools. We seek a candidate who can teach a robust middle school computer science curriculum (including digital citizenship, computer programming, etc.), and provide technical and Maker support to faculty. The ideal candidate will proactively collaborate with teachers to integrate innovative teaching concepts and tools into their classes. The most successful teachers in our network love challenges, collaboration, and building meaningful relationships with all students.
- Design, facilitate and teach computer instruction for 6th-8th grade students
- Use technology to promote learning, creativity, and collaboration
- Use a variety of instructional techniques, instructional media, and performance assessments, as identified by the instructional blueprint
- Work directly with school leaders and network leaders in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the computer curriculum
- Collaborate with teachers, across grade levels to plan and execute lessons that are aligned to skills/standards addressed in the Curriculum Map
- Provide intervention during Learning Lab blocks
- Prepare and execute lesson plans, assigning tasks, and evaluating student work and progress
- Develop course syllabus, assess, supervise, and motivate high school students
- Promote safe, effective, and ethical learning environment
- Use professional discretion and judgment in managing students in classroom setting
- Other duties as assigned by a supervisor or other member of the organization’s leadership team. These duties will be in support of the organization’s mission but may or may not be directly related to the other tasks or the job title found on this job description
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Proficient knowledge of digital citizenship, computer programming, Maker and MS Office to assist students and faculty with execution of the programs
- Experience integrating technology into classroom instruction and designing curriculums
- Commitment to working in under-served communities
- New York State Teaching Certification, strongly preferred
- 2+ years of teaching experience, strongly preferred
- Master’s Degree in Education, strongly preferred
Competitive and commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply