As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up. We envision a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context.
Alterna’s Fellowship is a trampoline for professionals who want to be on the frontline of social innovation. The program is a hands-on opportunity to apply and strengthen your skills in a developing context and to gain an edge in your career trajectory. In our multi-dimensional program, Fellows work closely with Alterna's leadership team on real-world projects to maximize the organization’s impact and sustainability. The program enables Fellows to gain the critical skills, systemic contextual insights and connection to a global network to advance their careers and catalyze impact around the world.
As our Data Analyst fellow, you will work directly with our Monitoring & Evaluation team, supporting us in strengthening our data management systems. Your specific responsibilities will include:
- Oversee the data management process: collection, organization, and maintenance of the various data types and structures in our database
- Analyze complex and unique data sets and generate insight reports for the Alterna team and our investors to identify and develop effective strategies that inform the decision-making process
- Work closely with department managers to identify and prioritize business and information needs; in particular, with the Cultivation team to facilitate data collection processes from entrepreneurs and to streamline the flow of information
- Prepare for database expansion by studying plans and requirements and coordinating design and programming
- Optimize database efficiency and quality: troubleshoot and maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls, and identify and implement process improvement opportunities
- Develop creative and innovative solutions to the exciting challenges facing our sector regarding impact assessment and data integrity
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Min. 1 year of professional experience in database management or relevant hands-on experience with CRM platforms (Salesforce, Zoho, ect.)
- A degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, Data analysis, Computer Science, or related fields – holding a Master degree is a plus
- Professional working proficiency in English and conversational Spanish (verbal and writing) – professional working proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Proficiency in Office suite; strong proficiency in Excel
- Experience with programming languages and/or statistical software (R, SPSS, STATA, etc.)
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, being able to communicate with different kind of interlocutors
- Flexibility and ability to work autonomously and proactively in a fast-paced environment
- Contextual understanding and appreciation for the difficulties and rewards of working in a developing context
- 10 month (minimum) commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Alterna will provide the Fellow with a local monthly living stipend. Additionally, Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our Fellow pool as our primary source when hiring for long-term paid positions.
In return of this investment of your talent and experience, you will also get the unique opportunity to:
- Advance a diverse skillset and generate lasting impact through ownership of real-world, high impact engagements that are core to Alterna and to the advance of the ecosystem
- Gain first-hand insight on the systemic complexities of entrepreneurship in Central America and on the innovative approaches, ideas and best practices of the impact sector
- Connect with a global network of key actors in the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector and beyond, propelling your career trajectory
- Work with an international team of young and passionate professionals
- Be immersed in the impact ecosystem and in the vibrancy of Guatemalan culture
Local monthly living stipend.
Level of Language Proficiency
Professional working proficiency in English and conversational Spanish (verbal and writing); professional working proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you bring a sense of humor and contagious energy we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellows Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows) and send it with your CV to email@example.com.