1981 Clover St
The Harley School seeks a full-time Director of College Counseling to begin in summer of 2018.
Responsibilities will include working closely with students, parents, and colleagues at colleges and universities; counseling 40+ students throughout the application process; writing letters of recommendation for each advisee; directing the college advising team, including assisting with various programs and taking on special projects and assignments; maintaining complete student files and being timely in responding to communications, requests, and deadlines; participating in conferences, visiting colleges, and hosting receptions and individual meetings with college representatives; introducing the college process to younger students in the Upper School.
This is a faculty position and the successful candidate will be expected to teach or coach roughly one section per year; in addition, faculty are responsible for advising, leadership of activities, chaperoning, etc. Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s (or higher) preferred. 3-5 years of college advising/college experience also preferred. This position requires both a joyful commitment to adolescents and a strong orientation toward details.
The Director of College Counseling reports to the Upper School Head and is responsible for administering all aspects of the college search and admissions process, including:
· Educating students and parents about colleges, the college admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing; managing the Naviance college application software system; advising and supporting classes of seniors and families as they progress through the search, application, and matriculation process; helping students and families aspire realistically and choose wisely; guiding college financial planning; supporting NCAA compliance for athletes;
· Leading a process of continuous improvement of college counseling at Harley by coordinating the work of assistant college counselors and administrative support; promoting Harley's strengths to college admissions officers; supporting faculty recommendation writers with periodic training; collecting and maintaining data on college choices; assessing the overall success of the college counseling program; preparing and presenting an annual report to the Board; advocating for Harley’s philosophy of college counseling.
· Advising the majority of each senior class and writing official school recommendations for individual advisees;
· Meeting with juniors and seniors, individually and in groups, to talk about process and individual college choices; advising 9th and 10th graders on curricular choices and additional elements of pre-college planning; working with international students to understand US college admissions;
· Meeting with visiting college admissions representatives and facilitating meetings between them and students; serving as a liaison with college admissions offices throughout the year;
· Working with the Registrar to compile an annual school profile;
· Working with the Registrar to maintain records including transcripts, standardized test scores, and grade point averages;
· Regularly updating college counseling resources including the school’s website and Naviance;
· Serving as a class advisor to the seniors;
· Maintaining and disseminating information about standardized tests such as SAT, ACT, Subject Tests, and TOEFL, helping with AP and PSAT exams, and working with SSP and the Registrar to apply for extended time on these tests, as warranted;
· Collecting and sharing information about college scholarships, summer programs, and gap year opportunities;
· Ensuring that students and faculty adhere to deadlines for the submission of their materials.
Minimum Education Required