District of Columbia
Position Location: Brooklyn, NY, Washington, DC and other locations will be considered
The Center for Popular Democracy promotes equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We currently work with 50 partner organizations in 38 states and Puerto Rico and build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations to envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. CPD is a rapidly-expanding, dynamic organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position
The Director of Foundation & Institutional Giving will be a senior position in the development team, collaborate closely with the executive team and other senior staff, lead our foundation & institutional giving program, including supervising junior development staff. The Director will be responsible for overseeing the overall strategy and range of foundation and institution focused fundraising activities for CPD and our sister c4 organization, CPD Action, with a focus on expanding our sources of funding, raising a greater proportion of general operating revenue, and cultivating relationships with new major national funders. The Director will design and run an internal program to build skills of program staff who anchor fundraising work, and ensure that our fundraising strategy is closely aligned with organizational priorities. Depending on the level and type of experience, this position may be expanded to include oversight of our major gifts, individual donor, and events programming.
- Lead CPD and CPDA’s foundation & institution-focused fundraising strategy, focusing on raising the resources necessary to meet our mission and realize our vision;
- Supervise CPD/A’s foundation development staff;
- Coordinate and support the fundraising work done by 20+ other senior staff;
- Train and support staff at all levels to build fundraising skills and effectiveness;
- Create and improve systems for maximizing the efficacy, efficiency and impact of all of this work;
- Oversee all of CPD’s development communications (website, annual report, brochure, newsletters, e-lerts);
- Work closely with the supervising Co-Executive Director, the executive team, and senior managers to develop and implement CPD/A’s overall development and institutional advancement strategy; and
- Work closely with CPD’s individual donor, major gifts, and events staff – either in partnership with that team’s supervisor or, if the candidate has the requisite experience and seniority, supervise that team directly.
- Experience with foundation-focused fundraising at scale and a track record of success;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and communication skills;
- Ability to build constructive and generative relationship both within and without CPD/A.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience leading teams and supervising staff;
- Experience with a wide range of development and management activities and ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects;
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues.
CPD is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our hiring portal: https://cpd.hiringthing.com/job/69926/director-of-foundation-institutional-giving