Boston Workmen’s Circle Center for Jewish Culture and Social Justice (BWC) is:
- A community and spiritual home for secular Jewish life
- A voice for progressive Jewish values and social change
- An arts and education center celebrating Yiddish and diasporic Jewish cultures
Today, BWC is a thriving, intergenerational, and member-led community with 600 dues-paying members, 17 committees, and 3 full time 2 part time staff. Our 2018-2019 program year was our largest year on record, with our organizing campaigns, rituals, and education programs reaching and serving thousands of people in the greater Boston area.
BWC is seeking a highly creative and self-motivated individual for the position of Communications Manager to expand and implement BWC’s Communication Strategy. This position is responsible for carrying out multi-platform messaging and communications tactics to: connect with and build our membership, promote our programs and organizing campaigns, support fundraising appeals, and increase BWC’s visibility and impact. Commitment to our mission, ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, graphic design skills, excellent writing are absolute musts. The person in this position reports directly to the Deputy Director, and works closely with our Cultural Worker & Member Organizer, as well as our volunteer Committee Chairs.
- Graphic Design: Produce graphics, videos, photos, and digital and print flyers for events, campaigns, fundraising materials, and website.
- Social Media: Create compelling cross-channel content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram; regularly track and increase engagement and growth; represent BWC in relevant online conversations and rapid response campaigns.
- Member Communication & email: Design and execute member engagement strategies, create bi-weekly e-newsletter to members, create tools for member to member communication including a directory, manage our mass-emails and increase open-rates, engagement, and growth .
- Development: This position would work closely with the Deputy Director to design and manage production of materials for our membership drive, annual appeal, annual report, major donor meetings, and other fundraising priorities. All staff at BWC play a vital role in fundraising for the organizing, including major donor meetings, grant reports on programs specific to your role, event support, and membership and annual appeal phone banking.
- Website Maintenance: Update and maintain the BWC website, including posting content, working with vendors on tech and security updates, eventual platform upgrade and redesign.
- Press: Manage BWC’s relationships with new and traditional media outlets, work with our members to pitch and secure media placement, increase and track BWC media coverage,train staff and members as spokespeople.
- Interns: Recruit and supervise interns where appropriate.
- Minimum of 2 years relevant experience
- Ability to write unique and compelling content for specific audiences
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
- CRM database experience, eTapestry and Constant Contact a plus
- Creative energy, self-starting; ability to manage multiple assignments in a fast-paced open-office setting
- Ability to take leadership, work individually and as a member of a team; flexibility
- Willingness to work occasional nights/weekends for major BWC events
- Commitment to the mission and values of Boston Workmen's Circle, including:
- Commitment to social, economic, gender and racial justice and a frame of collective liberation
- Welcoming all people across race, religion, gender and sexual orientation
- Being a voice in the Jewish community for just peace in Israel/Palestine and explicitly against the Israeli occupation of Palestine
- Standing against Islamophobia