Details: Salary is determined by Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement
89-89 Sutphin Boulevard
*This position is at Queens Legal Services*
Queens Legal Services (QLS) seeks a Receptionist/Executive Secretary for our vibrant community-based civil legal advocacy organization based in Queens. The person hired will report to the Office Manager. The position is available immediately.
Founded in 1967, QLS seeks equal access to justice for all low-income residents of Queens through a range of legal advocacy, education and community partnerships. We provide free legal counseling, representation and referrals in civil matters involving the essentials of life including housing, public and disability benefits, domestic violence prevention, consumer and homeowner protections, access to education and employment rights to eligible low-income individuals and families. We work with our clients and partners to identify and address root causes for systemic inequalities in Queens and throughout New York City. We provide civil legal services from our Community Law Center (Center) in Jamaica and at the Queens Family Justice Center (QFJC) where we are the founding on-site community partner. We are part of a network of local programs that make up Legal Services NYC (LSNYC), the largest free civil legal services provider in the United States.
Roles and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
· Welcoming prospective clients and visitors to the office and directing them to the appropriate case handler or external resource;
· Answering phones, including responding to inquiries regarding our services and directing calls and taking messages;
· Sorting and distributing the mail;
· Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of our office priorities and intake procedures;
· Speaking to each prospective client or visitor to determine if they can be helped and providing information and referrals to clients and community members as appropriate;
· Identifying appropriate referrals for people who cannot be assisted by our office, using LawHelp, organizations' websites, and other available resources, and making referrals;
· Conducting or assisting with preliminary intake or screening interviews, including preparation of appropriate forms;
· Copying, filing and scanning documents, ordering office supplies and occasional filing;
· Maintaining court calendars;
· Entering and managing data in electronic format;
· Interpreting for Limited English Proficiency callers and visitors or using telephone translation services as needed; and
· Other tasks as assigned which are consistent with the collective bargaining agreement.
Experience and Qualifications
Candidates should have a demonstrated passion for social justice and commitment to working with low-income communities and communities of color to advance equality. We seek candidates that are able to work with a wide range of people including low-income clients, case handlers, representatives of community organizations and elected officials. The candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills. S/he must be able to maintain a calm demeanor in a stressful and fast-paced environment, demonstrate integrity and a sense of humor. The candidate should also be skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, internet research and be comfortable learning and adapting to new technologies. Proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred, as is prior legal and/or social services experience.
How to Apply
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, names of three references and a recent writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Receptionist/Executive Secretary” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Salary is commensurate with experience and in accordance with the Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement. Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
QLS is an equal opportunity employer. It is an organization committed to race, gender and economic justice in our work and within our workplace. QLS staff are members of the LSSA/NOLSW UAW Local 2320. People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, and people over the age of 40 are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Excellent medical, pre-tax flexible benefits for medical, vision, dental and eligible child care reimbursement; and retirement plans and generous paid annual and sick leave days.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish is strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, names of three references and a recent writing samples to email@example.com. Please write “Receptionist/Executive Secretary” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Please review description for position roles and responsibilities, experience and qualifications and expectations.