1737 NE Alberta St.
Vibrant Village Foundation seeks a full-time Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) Manager to support our field teams and grant partners to strengthen their Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems, to drive continuous improvements and demonstrate the full impact of our program investments.
Monitoring and Evaluation Technical Support to Programs (70%)
- Provide M&E technical support for programs which may include: Supporting the development or strengthening of program monitoring, evaluation and learning plans; Helping refine indicators to demonstrate program impact and support continuous program improvement; Providing guidance on quantitative and qualitative methods; Developing M&E tools and providing guidance to program teams on implementing those tools; Providing guidance on remote data collection tools and approaches and; Supporting teams with participatory learning assessments and studies that are grounded in program experience and best practices;
- Assist in designing programs that incorporate Vibrant Village Foundation standards on design, monitoring, and evaluation;
- The MEL Manager will play a central role in the design and implementation of all internal evaluations and will work closely with consultants to conduct external evaluations that require specific expertise;
- Support program assessments and dissemination of findings;
- Provide program management support as needed to ensure field offices have strong practices in place to maintain a high level of accountability for financial reporting, program costs and outcomes.
Staff Training and Capacity Building (15%)
- Develop and implement staff training to build team capacities to develop and maintain excellent M&E systems, which includes regular reflection and analysis of program monitoring data;
- Facilitate learning across teams, partners and regions in areas of common practice.
Vision, Leadership and Strategy (15%)
- Provide leadership to regional and headquarter staff in developing M&E systems that inform and improve each program, as well as feed into the broader M&E framework for the Foundation;
- Represent Vibrant Village Foundation at conferences and other events; contribute to thought leadership in area of integrated community development and other sectoral areas of interest;
- Identify and nurture strategic partnerships with other organizations and institutions;
- Contribute to a strong and regularly updated network of technical experts and consultants that can serve as additional resources for program support.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field. Master’s Degree preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience in the international development or humanitarian response sector;
- At least 3 years of experience developing and implementing M&E systems at the program level, including developing M&E plans, indicator tables, data collection tools, and building capacity of M&E staff;
- Experience with remote data collection tools and database systems is preferred;
- Expertise in one or more of our sectors of interest (water, livelihoods, agriculture, community health) is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in skills related to program management including organizational development, budgeting and financial controls;
- The ability to work professionally and technically in an all French or Spanish-speaking environment is preferred.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work comfortably and effectively across a diverse portfolio of projects. Candidate will be able to function independently and exercise impeccable judgement. They will be an excellent communicator, multi-tasker, and be able to work in ambiguous situations. They will be a team player with a positive attitude toward problem solving and conflict resolution.
Living Conditions and Environmental Conditions
The preferred candidate would be based in Portland, Oregon, USA, or the Pacific NW but we will consider candidates who wish to work remotely. The position requires approximately 30-40% international travel, for extended durations (up to 2-3 weeks at a time.) Many of the regions of travel will be remote with few amenities and located far distances from capital cities and services. Expect communal housing and no running water.
Vibrant Village Foundation team members represent the organization both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and VVF policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
The MEL Manager is a full-time exempt position. Salary will be based on experience and will include benefits. Vibrant Village Foundation is unable to sponsor candidates who are not authorized to work in the United States.
Vibrant Village Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to the value of advancing equity and seek to build an organization that reflects the diversity of our global community. We strongly encourage applications from people from underrepresented ethnic and racial groups and individuals with disabilities.
Level of Language Proficiency
The ability to work professionally and technically in an all French or Spanish-speaking environment is preferred.
Minimum Education Required