Hollaback! is a global, people-powered movement to end harassment. We work together to understand the problem, ignite public conversations, and develop innovative strategies that ensure equal access to public spaces. We leverage the very spaces where harassment happens – from online to the streets – to have each other’s backs and build a world where we can all be who we are, wherever we are. Hollaback! is in a period of rapid growth -- with plans to more than double our team size in the next six months.
The Director of Operations will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Executive Director (ED). The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT.
The Director of Operations will play a critical role in partnering with the ED in strategic decision making and operations as Hollaback! continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for an operational leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
Program Leadership & Management
- Manage, develop, coach, and retain all staff, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Supervise organizational contractors and consultants
- Enhance, flesh out, and implement organizational vision as established in Hollaback!'s Strategic Growth Plan.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence.Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Develop the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs.
- Ensure that key project outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
- With the support of our bookkeeper, analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess and implement any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Administer the organizational payroll and invoicing payment processes.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Further develop Hollaback!’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting.
- Ensure that recruiting and onboarding processes are consistent and streamlined.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, and procedures.
- In partnership with IT consultants, ensure that organizational platforms (e.g., website, apps, social media accounts, etc.) are functional and user-friendly and that the organization’s technology needs are met.
- Work closely and transparently with external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
Qualifications (we are looking for at least 80% of these):
- Minimum of a BA, ideally with an MBA/CPA or related degree
- At least 10 years of experience with three of those in a team management role
- Demonstrated success developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing programs
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Strength in managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- The ideal candidate has experience of fiscal responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- A track record in grants management
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Hollaback!'s mission