Details: Commensurate with experience
75 Broad Street
Temp to Perm Candidate preferred
Reports to the Chief of Staff
About The Moth
- The Moth is an acclaimed not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the art and craft of storytelling and to honoring the commonality and diversity of human experience.The Moth is a recipient of a 2012 John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation MacArthur Award for Creative & Effective Institutions (MACEI).
- Through its ongoing programs—The Moth Mainstage, The Moth Story SLAMs, The Moth Community & Education Programs, and MothWorks—The Moth has presented more than thirty thousand stories, told live without notes to standing-room-only crowds worldwide. The Moth podcast is downloaded over 50 million times a year, and the Peabody Award-winning The Moth Radio Hour, airs weekly on over 480 national radio stations.
- Its first book, THE MOTH: 50 True Stories is an international bestseller and its most recent anthology, ALL THESE WONDERS: True Stories of Facing The Unknown received rave reviews
As our Human Resources Lead/Manager, you will be responsible for formulating, executing and maintaining HR policies and procedures with particular emphasis on recruitment, employee relations, retention and performance management. As The Moth expands its vision, this is an exciting opportunity to enact strategies and build a culture that reflects the goals and values of The Moth at a pivotal point in its history.
Recruiting and Hiring
- Collaborate with hiring managers to execute all recruiting and hiring needs including job description development, position posting, resume sourcing, coordination of interviews, and selection
- Participate in the onboarding/orientation process and employee offboarding/transition process
- Partner with the Diversity and Inclusion Committee to ensure our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is represented in the recruitment process
- Coordinate and execute the annual employee review process
- Take a lead role in strengthening and expressing The Moth culture and values
- Assist with disciplinary, performance management and terminations, as appropriate
- Support internal investigations
- Devise and manage employee recognition and career development programs
- Coordinate with department heads on training related to HR policies and procedures and create new policies
- Communicate and liaise with employees about 403(b), FSA, commuter benefits, FMLA Leave, Paid Family Leave, disability, worker’s compensation, and unemployment
- Communicate employee eligibility for employment benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and flex spending).
- Work closely with the Finance team to ensure The Moth remains compliant with federal, state and city employment and payroll regulations
- Assist in new policy development and evaluate, update and communicate the employee handbook to employees.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and experience working in a culturally diverse setting
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of 4 plus years of progressive HR experience
- Familiar with local, state, and federal employment law and regulations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to demonstrate kindness and empathy and understanding in dealing with sensitive employee issues
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of people
- Excellent computer skills, including Google Suite, payroll platforms and Excel
- Passion and commitment for The Moth and its mission
About our culture
Our energetic team is made up of story directors and producers, archivists and media creators, instructors and educators as well as hundreds of volunteers with a passion for stories and community-building through storytelling.
The Moth is dedicated to building a culturally vibrant team and strongly encourages applications from people of diverse backgrounds. The Moth seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.
All positions at The Moth are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. The Moth brings storytelling opportunities to people from a variety of communities. Candidates with a commitment to supporting diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required