UPTE, CWA Local 9119 (“UPTE”) is a dynamic and growing member-run, statewide union representing 16,000 University of California technical, research, and health care professionals. UPTE is seeking to hire a union organizer (which UPTE refers to as an “Leadership Development Coordinator”) for an assignment at UC Davis.
- Trains members to plan, lead and conduct organizing, political, legislative, and issue-oriented campaigns.
- Works collaboratively with local and systemwide officers in proposing and implementing innovative ideas to achieve campaign goals.
- Develops member leaders to run strong chapters capable of addressing the needs of members.
- Accountable for working with union leadership and stewards and recruiting new members to participate in union activities and political campaigns. Regular one-on-one contact with members is required.
- Develops and maintains effective worksite leadership structures through the recruitment, training, and support of stewards and other union leaders.
- Helps to develop and deliver formal and informal education programs to train stewards and worksite leaders.
- Demonstrates proficiency in all elements of organizing through leadership development and mentoring, instead of assuming primary responsibility for success.
Skills and knowledge required:
- 3-5 years prior labor or non-profit organizing experience, particularly in the area of member development.
- Demonstrated success in member-based field organizing and mobilization.
- Ability to conduct one-on-one visits, site visits, in person meetings, phone calls, video meetings, and other interactions with members and potential members.
- Experience working with groups of activists on dedicated outcomes and benchmarks.
- Post-secondary education and/or work experience demonstrating strong strategic and analytical abilities.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Moderate computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet, database and email applications.
- Valid California driver's license, travel, temporary assignments and extended work hours are occasionally required.